Very interesting

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
As if they haven't stunk up the air enough with those engines, now another one to blast the 80+ Carcinogens into the water

alldodge

Staff member
There comparing it to a 70 gas, wonder what the weight comparison is.

robert graham

Admiral
Looks like a great motor.....especially for commercial/fishing applications....diesels have come a long way since they were mostly smoky, noisy, smelly motors....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Where I live, Yam has been the absolute King of Outboards for decades, no other brand alone or together comes even close to them in sales..

According to the posted article, 5 K run hours is the max life expectancy of an outboard, 5 K seems way too much, assume 2-2.5 K hours is the max that will go. Will 2 strokes outboards wear faster than same 4 strrokes versions ? what are your thoughts ?

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
I've never known of a 2 stroke outboard "wearing out" and I don't think they do.....but they experience failures due to corrosion or lack of preventive maintenance.....

82rude

Rear Admiral
I doubt very much the yanmar will take over the market but where I could see this being big is with commercial where its a big benefit to carry only one fuel not several different types.A projected service life of approx. 10,000 hrs is nothing to sneeze at either.Where I live Yamaha is an oddity on the water where as Merc rules (new) and omc dominates (2 stroke).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've never known of a 2 stroke outboard "wearing out" and I don't think they do.....but they experience failures due to corrosion or lack of preventive maintenance.....

Yes they can and do wear out. I will agree that most die horrible twitching deaths from neglect and lack of maintenance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter if OB was well cared and religiously maintained. All engines wears in if that's the correct wording for this situation. It's the normal internal wear or degradation of components such as pistons, piston rings, cylinders during time use. Neglect and lack of proper maintenence will kill any OB faster..

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
diesel outboards are more the norme everywhere except the US. same goes with cars, and even diesel motorcycles.

Heck, even 7-Marine has a diesel version designed

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Diesel engines are popular in Europe because of the tax situation on engine size. Turbo charge a two liter diesel and you get the same performance and better economy than a 3 liter gasser. It isn't always about fuel availability or it's price.