verado more torqe than e-tech

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: verado more torqe than e-tech

My guess is you won't see the companies put up a direct comparison run. Its not in their best interest usually. They are hard to control and if you're not careful a slower boat/motor combo can beat you (then you complain about the unforssen differences) or worse, you have a tie (and no differences to complain about) if you don't cover all the bases. Just as in the courtroom, a lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer to, and a marketing person never holds a comparison that he can't win hands down. And the magazines don't want to **** off potential advertisers.<br /><br />Ours is faster<br />Ours has a better hole shot<br />Ours has more torque<br />Ours has more horsepower<br />Ours is more reliable<br />Ours is more economical<br />Ours is quieter<br />Ours has new technology<br />Ours has proven technology<br />Ours is cleaner<br />Ours meets all emission requirement<br />Ours runs on helium<br />Ours runs on argon<br /><br />Take your pick and assign your favorite brand outboard :D .

Drydocked

Cadet

Originally posted by Trophy23:<br /> Tis true I lumped em all toghether. I meant DI (optimax) and HPDI types (Ficht which pumped fuel in at a high pressure and the Yamaha HPDI). I think the E-tec is closer to the Optimax in fuel injection pressure(only a guess though). The supercharger is a guess on reliability, but has been around many years, not much new here except the size used for the inline 6. Fourstroke has been around for a long while. Verado is a guess on how long it will last too, but 5 years of testing is alot better than anyone else has given to an engine so I went with the Verado. Hadn't heard of the Yamaha fourstroke recall, but not sure what it's for either. If it's an accessory then forgive them, if its a major part then you can crusify if ya want. Etec had no big motor when I was shopping. <br />Wouldn't it be nice to put the pressure on these companies to have such a race though. But, real world testing by owners will tell us more down the road as to which way the marine industry goes. I think everyone thought the two stroke technology had peaked, but look again, here comes a new idea by Evinrude marketed when they needed it most. Kind of makes ya smile at how the companies can come up with some great ideas when they are under pressure.
Powerboat Reports just published a comparison of the Verado, the Yamaha 4-stroke and ETEC 250s on the same hull. They liked the Verado best, but if you look at the numbers and their comments, IMO they are all about the same.<br /><br />The ETEC was clearly the lightest by a lot. It was the fastest both in top speed and acceleration, but not by that much. It was also the thirstiest, but not by that much. It was actually quieter than the Yamaha in the 30 - 40 mph speed range, but not as quiet as the Verado. They really liked the Verados power steering and shifter.<br /><br />They did not look at long term maintenance issue or emissions.<br /><br />The Yamaha recall is for a sticking throttle linkage, which affects some 30,000+ 4-stroke 200 - 225 HP engines. The USCG Recall number is 050003T. The summary text:<br /><br />IN 2002 THRU 2005 MODEL F225, LF225, F200 AND LF200 OUTBOARD MOTORS THERE MAY BE EXCESSIVE FRICTION IN THE BALL JOINTS OF THE THROTTLE LINK RODS. FRICTION COULD PREVENT THROTTLE RETURN SPRINGS FROM RETURNING THROTTLE LINKAGE TO IDLE POSITION PREVENTING OPERATOR FROM SHIFTING REMOTE CONTROL INTO NEUTRAL. DANGER OF COLLISION. 26150 UNITS W/CONSUMERS AND 8008 W/DEALERS. 050127 SENT CURS.

Trophy23

Seaman

Drydocked, thanks for the headsup on the Powerboat Reports. Nice to see an article from an independent research company. Finally got around to purchasing the report and it to me kind of brings home the point that the three motors are very close in performance in most aspects, each haveing a niche. Far cry from hype and infomercials that the manufacturers whould like us to believe about how great their motor is compared to the other companies. :rolleyes: Still all three are very impressive. Knowing about the E-tec and Verado, I was more shocked at how well the Yamaha F250 performed. :eek: Anyway, for those of you pondering which motor to go with, might want to purchase and use this info with the other research you do before purchasing so you make a decision you are happy with.