verado more torqe than e-tech

olm

Seaman
I was at a whaler dealer today on an estimate and got to talking about e-tech's. He said they were good motors but did not have to torqe of the verado. that on the outrage 32 the etechs did not perform as well as the verado. could this be true?<br />any replies would be appriciated

JRJ

Commander
Re: verado more torqe than e-tech

I haven't run an e-tec or a verado. I have driven 2-cycles and 4-cycles that ran on gasoline and diesel. 2-cycles wind up quickley and give great acceleration. They run out of power quickly when the load draws down RPM's. 4-cycles wind up slower but can get down and grunt against a load, and carry on. What are you looking for? Test drive both if you can. If simpler has anything to do with your decision, what do you think? Look under the hood of each motor :cool:

olm

Seaman

I have two new e-tech's. and I thought that two strokes had more torqe that 4 strokes. I just wanted to tap into the knowlege on this forum and find out if this is true. thanks you for you input.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In the Bombardier video, on a light bass boat, the E-TEC outaccelerated the Verado. In the PBR report using 250hp motors on a 23' Wellcraft, the E-TEC, even though underpropped, had slightly better acceleration and top speed than the Verado. Both are strong motors.<br /><br />Recreational Boston Whalers are only available with Merc power, so there probably isn't any truth to the dealer's claim about the E-TECs on a 32 Outrage.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merc ownes Whaler, what did you expect the sales guy to say :rolleyes:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I seen that video add also Seahorse.....but I wondered if the rigs were heavier...would the E-Tech still outclass the Verado? Sometimes a straight up horse race just don't say everthing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well a two stroke is still a two stroke I dont care how you move fuel. what we are being convinced of is a 4 stroke,with a power pulse every other revolution has more torque than a comparable CID 2 stroke that has a power pulse every time the piston comes up. me, I aint buying it unless I was running the dyno.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

So Rodbolt, do you think that the 4 stroke or the 2 Srtoke has more torque?

BillP

Captain

With 2 strokes its more about "where" the torque is. In the real world I don't see why torque is such a big deal with outboards anyway. Most can be dialed in with the right prop. Hole shots and drag racing, who cares? Before anyone jumps on me about being pro verado...I want an etec next time.

olm

Seaman

thanks for the info guys, From what I am reading the owner of the dealership has a vested interest in the verado due to company owning whaler. I was there to give him an estimate on an addition and he wanted to do some trading. When I told him I had just bought etechs is when all of the torqe conversation came about. It doesnt make since that whaler would rig up a boat with etechs anyhow.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is common for salesmen in the Brunswick family of companies to make statements that degrade competition and that cannot be backed up with verified facts. "More torque", "Better hole shot", etc are among the most common worthless claims.<br /><br />Differences in performance among correctly propped equal hp engines, be they DI 2 strokes, carbed 2 strokes, EFI 4 strokes or supercharged EFI 4 strokes will be trivial and of real interest only to boat magazine publishers and other nit-pickers.<br /><br />Just my opinion, which can be changed by facts but not by claims or theories.

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

Even if they have the same torque; which they are probably close. The twin E-Tecs you have are close to 400lbs lighter. If you take two boats with similiar torque and HP and add 400lbs to one which do you think will have the better hole shot?<br /><br />If I had heard the salesman say that I would have bet him $1000 right there to prove it. The only people who say the Verado performs better are the ones who have never ran an E-Tec.

Trophy23

Seaman

You are a tad bit off in the weight department, winoandino. The E-tec 225 with 25 inch shaft weighs in at about 524 pounds from all articles I have seen and the Verado with same size shaft weighs in at 649 pounds. a difference if you can add that is 125 making the total of two engines at 250. Slightly different than your 400 pound addition. May be right on torque and performance, but lets get the facts right!

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Trophy, I was adding the weight from oil, steering system ext. that the Verado has to have. Merc's advertised weight is on a dry engine right out of the box. I'll refrase my statement. Change 400lbs to 300lbs and you still have the same problem.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong. For a 4-Stroke the Verado has great accerlation, but it still can't compair to a 2-Stroke.

Trophy23

Seaman

Just wanted apples to apples. The E-tec is a pretty awsome motor from what all the independent test articles say and of course what Evinrude shows on their infomercials. I'd still like to see a Evinrude rep and a Merc rep and a Yamaha rep race thier boats against each other after a dyno shows they are equivalent motors for hp and see how they really compare in the real world. But if the hype is true from Evenrude, it's a winner for sure. How come everyone jumps on Merc for their hype about the Verado when Evenrude is doing even more with the E-tec commercials?? Oh well, that's business I guess. I have to say I'd still pick the Verado due to the fact I know four stroke history and HPDI history, which is still what the E-tec is, but looks like they got it right this time. Really, just glad to see both with something that can go up against the foreign competition and hold thier own. I think from all I've read though that the Verado does include Hyd steering cylinder weight as it is integral part of motor, could be mistaken though. :( <br /> Right now looks like a good time to buy an E-tec though, with a big rebate or 7 year warranty, there is no doubt which you should take with a new design motor. Take the warranty and feel happy for 7 years. Repair would probably cost more than any rebate for any of the new motors out there.

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

What do you mean 4-Stroke history vs. HPDI history????? Bombardier has been making a great DI engine with NO problems since 2002. HPDI (a Yamaha Product) is the one having problems. And isn't there a HUGE recall on Yamaha 4-Strokes going on now. To me it is a much higher risk putting a brand new supercharged engine into a saltwater environment. <br /><br />As for the race, the Evinrude rep I know would do it anyday, I doubt you could get the Merc or Yamaha guys to show up.

olm

Seaman

Thanks again for your input. Went out this weekend and put about 6-7 hours on the motors. still very impressed. Picked up some weeds and one motor oveheated but ran fine after that. I think i will look into new props I am turning 6000+ rpm and I am running 14-1/4 x 19. I think these motors can handle 21 or 23 pitch. one thing they are not as quite as a four stroke I wasn next to a yammy at the dock and you could not hear them run. You could hear mine run as I bolted past this guy from a dead stop. I was gone when he was still planing.

Trophy23

Seaman

Tis true I lumped em all toghether. I meant DI (optimax) and HPDI types (Ficht which pumped fuel in at a high pressure and the Yamaha HPDI). I think the E-tec is closer to the Optimax in fuel injection pressure(only a guess though). The supercharger is a guess on reliability, but has been around many years, not much new here except the size used for the inline 6. Fourstroke has been around for a long while. Verado is a guess on how long it will last too, but 5 years of testing is alot better than anyone else has given to an engine so I went with the Verado. Hadn't heard of the Yamaha fourstroke recall, but not sure what it's for either. If it's an accessory then forgive them, if its a major part then you can crusify if ya want. Etec had no big motor when I was shopping. <br />Wouldn't it be nice to put the pressure on these companies to have such a race though. But, real world testing by owners will tell us more down the road as to which way the marine industry goes. I think everyone thought the two stroke technology had peaked, but look again, here comes a new idea by Evinrude marketed when they needed it most. Kind of makes ya smile at how the companies can come up with some great ideas when they are under pressure.