Venture Boat Trailers

jdsample

Recruit
I wanted to put a post on the site for anyone that is considering purchasing a Venture trailer. BEWARE!!

I purchased a NEW Venture trailer to hull my 24' Sea Ray on 4 years ago. I service the trailer at least twice a year, and of course every time I use it for a long haul. I was towing the boat for about one hour into my trip and my rear spring snapped completely in half, destroying the fender and tire...and thankfully after getting the truck and trailer to a stop nothing else was damaged.

I can totally understand if it were a trailer used in salt water, or one that is not maintained...but that is DEFINITELY not the case. After spending the better half of the day on the side of the road trying to find and replace the broken spring I finally got to my destination.

To make matters even worse...I launched the boat, and decided to inspect the rest of the springs...and EVERY spring on the trailer is cracked in half and in danger of failing.(2 axle trailer)

I contacted Venture...and they pretty much said...and not in such a polite way...why you calling us on a trailer that is out of warranty by two years- its easy to fix go buy 3 more springs.

Now before everyone starts posting...YES i take care of my trailer like i do my boat..it is serviced all the time...and its not my first rodeo...I have been trailering boats my entire life(correct tire pressures, and yes the trailer is rated correctly to hold the boat). I have NEVER had a trailer spring totally fail, let alone crack in half. I contacted Venture because in my opinion there is a major safety issue with the springs they are using.

I purchased the trailer so I would have years of trouble free service(with good maintenance). This is DEFINITELY not the case. If I did it again, I would NEVER purchase a Venture. I just wanted to post my opinion and give everyone my experience....and if you have a venture....lay down on the ground and look at the springs!!!! You might have a huge monster just waiting to cause you major problems, and possibly major damage!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Venture Boat Trailers

sorry about your experience, and I have no reason to defend Venture, but what happens is: Venture (and Ford and Toyota) buy their springs from vendors from all over the world; who knows who made that spring and out of what. My 1980 Landcruiser was a great vehicle but that year made from bad Russian steel and the body rusted from the inside out! But I still like Toyota.

SmilinEd

Recruit

I wanted to put a post on the site for anyone that is considering purchasing a Venture trailer. BEWARE!!

I purchased a NEW Venture trailer to hull my 24' Sea Ray on 4 years ago. I service the trailer at least twice a year, and of course every time I use it for a long haul. I was towing the boat for about one hour into my trip and my rear spring snapped completely in half, destroying the fender and tire...and thankfully after getting the truck and trailer to a stop nothing else was damaged.

I can totally understand if it were a trailer used in salt water, or one that is not maintained...but that is DEFINITELY not the case. After spending the better half of the day on the side of the road trying to find and replace the broken spring I finally got to my destination.

To make matters even worse...I launched the boat, and decided to inspect the rest of the springs...and EVERY spring on the trailer is cracked in half and in danger of failing.(2 axle trailer)

I contacted Venture...and they pretty much said...and not in such a polite way...why you calling us on a trailer that is out of warranty by two years- its easy to fix go buy 3 more springs.

Now before everyone starts posting...YES i take care of my trailer like i do my boat..it is serviced all the time...and its not my first rodeo...I have been trailering boats my entire life(correct tire pressures, and yes the trailer is rated correctly to hold the boat). I have NEVER had a trailer spring totally fail, let alone crack in half. I contacted Venture because in my opinion there is a major safety issue with the springs they are using.

I purchased the trailer so I would have years of trouble free service(with good maintenance). This is DEFINITELY not the case. If I did it again, I would NEVER purchase a Venture. I just wanted to post my opinion and give everyone my experience....and if you have a venture....lay down on the ground and look at the springs!!!! You might have a huge monster just waiting to cause you major problems, and possibly major damage!

Be very careful with older Venture Aluminum boat trailers, tandem axle especially.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have looked at Venture trailers a few times over the past 10 years or so. . . it seems like an economy trailer.

Looks like spring inspection will now be on your twice a year maintenance list :thumb:

SmilinEd

Recruit

I have a 2010 model that has done more sitting than traveling in the last 3 yrs....

1ST thing I noticed was cupping on the inside driver side tires and cupping on the outside of the passenger side tires. checked tire inflation, 45 lbs around, off yes, but nothing that makes the newspaper.

Did the axles shift....? The axles on these trailers, 2010 models are held in place by u-bolts with nylon nuts, and that's it. How do you torque a nylon nut on the U-bolt that is holding your axles in place...???

Talking about torque values

If those nuts loosen will the u-bolts holding the axles in place slide, what keeps that from happening...??? Those 3/32 thin aluminum straps on either side of the U-bolts????

Now I have noticed that this yrs models the shackles are welded to flat stock and the mounted at each end with one U-bolt. Venture has eliminated 3 u-bolts per side.

Design defect on the older models...!!!!????? and mine is 3 yrs old with probably less than 500 miles on it....

SmilinEd

Recruit

I don't know about economy...?

They are made out of aluminum and have disc brakes all the way around connected to a fairly descent surge brake system with mag rims....?

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine made a haul from FL to WI. 1440 total miles with zero problems.

agallant80

Commander

My venture is 3 months old and the paint is starting to rust off of the springs :(

Thalasso

Commander

I have a 2010 model that has done more sitting than traveling in the last 3 yrs....

1ST thing I noticed was cupping on the inside driver side tires and cupping on the outside of the passenger side tires. checked tire inflation, 45 lbs around, off yes, but nothing that makes the newspaper.

Did the axles shift....? The axles on these trailers, 2010 models are held in place by u-bolts with nylon nuts, and that's it. How do you torque a nylon nut on the U-bolt that is holding your axles in place...???

Talking about torque values

If those nuts loosen will the u-bolts holding the axles in place slide, what keeps that from happening...??? Those 3/32 thin aluminum straps on either side of the U-bolts????

Now I have noticed that this yrs models the shackles are welded to flat stock and the mounted at each end with one U-bolt. Venture has eliminated 3 u-bolts per side.

Design defect on the older models...!!!!????? and mine is 3 yrs old with probably less than 500 miles on it....

Don't know what your looking at but my 07 shackles are welded to flat stock

agallant80

Commander

Well or cote them with something but they are all rusted now. I am not looking forward to trailer rehab. I wish when I bought the boat I spent a few $$ on upgrading the trailer. I think the trailer will need to be replaced at some point in time with what I have seen so far.

Thalasso

Commander

Well or cote them with something but they are all rusted now. I am not looking forward to trailer rehab. I wish when I bought the boat I spent a few $$ on upgrading the trailer. I think the trailer will need to be replaced at some point in time with what I have seen so far.

I just spray the leafs with PB lubricant.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I have to wonder if maybe the boat was too much for the trailer. I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who call me looking for a trailer that have no clue how much the boat weighs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have to wonder if maybe the boat was too much for the trailer. I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who call me looking for a trailer that have no clue how much the boat weighs.

+1. Also nylon nuts??? Are your sure you don't have NYLOCK nuts?

I have no idea if Venture makes good trailers or not, but how a bout some pictures of some of these deficiencies? The nylon nuts and u-bolted shackles would be a good start. The only pics in this thread are by Thalasso and I don't see anything wrong in the design. It seems he doesn't either.

To the OP, want to come back and respond to some of the questions. Or are you just going around the Internet blasting a product. :noidea: