Vaseline and White Boats ?

how does vasoline work on white boats ? I have heard that it works great on blues and reds but has anyone tried it on white ? And is the vasoline being used instead of wax or applied over wax ?

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Vaseline and White Boats ?

There have been a few threads about it and some good comments, so be sure to do a Search if no one has anything new to add. I put it on my 1995 white boat and given my set of circumstances, I like the results.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used it at first and it seemed to give good results, but after a while the old oxidization came back. I got some 3M marine fiberglass restorer/wax and the difference is amazing. The "real" stuff works so much better. It is 20$ a bottle but I think it is worth it.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Vaseline is a petroleum product. It will do the same thing to your boat as it will do when you rub it into your hair...make it shiny and greasy.

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used it at first and it seemed to give good results, but after a while the old oxidization came back. I got some 3M marine fiberglass restorer/wax and the difference is amazing. The "real" stuff works so much better. It is 20$ a bottle but I think it is worth it.

For this project, it's not even the money so much as the time and elbow grease involved in going over the whole hull, with or without tools. If I'm going to go through all that, I almost don't care what it costs, just make it worth it. May have to give that 3M a go.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Works great, just does not last anywhere near as long as a good waxing job.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Wax on the boat.

I save the vaseline for my trips to West Marine and the mechanic...

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Buff Magic and a wool rotary pad will make your boat shinier than new.

Craig

ziggy

Admiral

i've read quite a few of these Vaseline threads. i still don't get it... i use regular wax a couple times a year. works great. you could use my '75 hull for a mirror it shines so nice. why fix something that isn't broke.. obviously my 2 cent is just use wax and be done with it.. i also don't use a buffer...

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Vaseline is just the old used car, or boat in this case, salesman's quick fix for a lack luster finish. Why waste your time, money and effort. I say do yourself a favor and spend a few more dollars and do it right the first time. Then the follow up maintenance is much easier.

MyViewGS

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ever notice how your faded out gelcoat looks better wet? That is what the vaseline is doing...makes it look the same way when it is wet. Vaseline is just a temporary thing that makes it look ok for a little while.

well, i think i am just gonna hit it up with some rubbing compund, polish and wax. I'll post some before and after pics !

skargo

Banned

I used Vaseline last spring, and my hull still looks like a mirror. It removed oxidation and never came back, on the blue, and the white parts of the hull.
I see no need to throw money away when this works fine. ;)

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well..i gotta say...Oh,never mind.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, be brave and just say it!

Did anyone see how fast Skargo replied???he was waiting...lurking..EXPECTING me to come along and express my views on Vaseline wax thing..Well...
Nope.

Wax is better..!!!!

skargo

Banned

Did anyone see how fast Skargo replied???he was waiting...lurking..EXPECTING me to come along and express my views on Vaseline wax thing..Well...
Nope.

Wax is better..!!!!
LOL, I have my cell phone set to alert me to Vaseline threads, and a double alert sounds when you post :D

Have a great weekend!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ever notice how your faded out gelcoat looks better wet? That is what the vaseline is doing...makes it look the same way when it is wet. Vaseline is just a temporary thing that makes it look ok for a little while.

Great summary Bruce. :)