varnishing old teak/mahogony

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
i'm varnishing some highlight areas of the interior of a boat that has always ben hand rubbed oil finish. After cleansing with acetone and sanding forever i still have a fairly open grain to fill, and would like to find something i can use to fill this up before varnishing, for a glass smooth finish. If there is a home made remedy it is preffered, because many products are not available here as in the USA.

Ouan

Cadet
Re: varnishing old teak/mahogony

Any fill you use will be very obvious I just keep alternating sanding and varnishing until the smoothness is attained, up to 10 coats The initial coats I cut the varnish with laquer thinner about 50% or more to penetrate and seal the wood. I let it dry hard and then sand again gradually reducing the grit until I am down to steel wool 00. I don't know if you can get stainless steel wool at that grit but it prevents little rust marks later on you decks You will want to start with the smoothest surface you can get before applying any varnish. Also when applying varnish, just dip the brush, dont wipe it on the side of the can. I like pettit Gold cup but it aint cheap Cheers Michael

LubeDude

Admiral

If its Teak, "YOULL BE SORRY",<br /><br />You will have split varnish or whatever other clear coat you might choose, You cant varnish Teak, eventually it will shed the varnish and its a you know what to remove.

Ouan

Cadet

Yes I agree I was remiss in not mentioning it was the mahogony refinishing I was describing<br />Cheers