Vapor separator leaking 1996 Johnson 115

gvysk

Cadet
At least that is what I think it is. The bowl right next to the fuel filter sprays gas out of the seam when I pump the bulb. So I will need at least the gasket but was curious if I am going to be taking it apart what else should I replace while I am at it. Fuel filter? Internal parts of the separator?

Engine model j115gledc

Thanks
Greg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vapor separator leaking 1996 Johnson 115

May want to replace the needle and seat in the separator also.

gvysk

Cadet

I was able to find the parts in stock locally. As another poster stated in another thread the back right screw is difficult to get to. I got a racheting handle to use with screwdriver bits but 1" bits are too short and 2" are too long. Anyone have any tricks of getting to this without having to take more parts off? If I do need to take parts off is there anywhere to find out what to remove? I have a little mechanical ability but pretty much a newbie working on outboards. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has for me

Greg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the 4 screws out that hold the fuel bracket on and you may be able to pull it out far enough to get at the separator.Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up your motor and look for fuel bracket. Screws are # 34 (334521).

gvysk

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Totally correct. Once the four bolts with the big washers were removed I was able to pull it away from the engine far enough to get to it. Will fire it up tomorrow and hopefully it will be good to go.