valvoline conventional or castrol gtx?

ob

Admiral
Re: valvoline conventional or castrol gtx?

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> <br />I will say this, air cooled engines that had Valvoline & Wolfs Head run through them seemed to have the worst build up of parafene in them. They also showed excessive wear on the bearings, valve guides, and cam followers.<br /><br />Like Lubedude mentioned earlier, some oils are good in some engines while not being good for others.<br /><br />My best suggestion in not necessarily the quality of the oil, but the quality of the oil filter. Cheap oil filters like FRAM have killed many engines. Lubedude is right that most oils are good oils, but install a good filter if you want to prolong the life of your engine.
Not trying to start anything here ,but you mentioned two oils that you attributed to problems in a test result,and then say that you agree that most oils are good oils and the filter is what is most important.Do you then think that some of your earlier tests were a result of a cheap filter or cheap oil?Or both?<br /><br />BTW ,my earlier mention of Wolfs Head oil was an exaggerated statement to make a point that even a superior grade of oil is inferior if dirty to a lesser grade.Don't think I've actually even seen Wolfs Head oil but rather heard the mention of it in a comical line by Belushi in the movie "Neighbors" , when he gave his car to Vic,played by Dan Akroyd.He said, "She'll need an oil change in about 1000 miles.I use Wolfs Head Golden 30.It'll never let you down,buddy." :D <br /><br />Maybe a better exaggeration would have been,Acme oil. ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

ob, On VW type I engines (which I got my samples from) doesn't have a filter. All they have is a sump screen. They do have aftermaket pump/filter units. I didn't have the filter type when I did my test. So the oil basically was screened, but not filtered.<br /><br />Sludge or parafene deposits is just a sign of the breaking down of the oil from high temps. I don't think a filter would have any effect on the breakdown of the oil.

ob

Admiral

Your right about those early VW filters.I was kind of a VW buff myself once upon a time.Had 67's ( last year for the old style bumpers) and first for the 1500 engine,and 69 models mostly.My sister even had one of those automatic clutch models.Sort of a semi manual shift.Still remember a few of the little details of keeping those puppies running their best.Like setting #3 exhaust valve clearance a couple of thousanths wider to compensate for the oil cooler air blockage.I hated those dang bellows type push rod tubes.Always seaping a little.The bug shops carried some nice aftermarket telescoping type that worked better that the originals.They were fun to drive and parts were cheap.

Skinnywater

Commander

The newer oils are not good for the older hot rods though. They have removed too much of the additives to protect the flat tappet cams and lifters that have high valve spring rates.
My,my,my...... :rolleyes:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br />
The newer oils are not good for the older hot rods though. They have removed too much of the additives to protect the flat tappet cams and lifters that have high valve spring rates.
My,my,my...... :rolleyes:
:eek: :D :D