Value of 1974 Johnson 15 HP Short Shaft

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1974 15HP short shaft Johnson engine I will be selling soon. It is in very good condition (picture attached) I obtained it through a family member for a 12 foot fishing boat last fall and only used it once and it seemed to run good both at idle and at WOT. I have since bought a 14 foot Starcraft with a newer Honda 4 stroke engine.

I am not desparate for the money so I don't have to sell it tomorrow or give it away, so I was wondering if a few of you could give me an idea on what a fair price to ask for a motor like this would be and what I should accept in terms of an offer. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bear

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Value of 1974 Johnson 15 HP Short Shaft

Johnson 15 HP.jpg

Triyng again with the picture attacment of the 74 Johnson 15 HP. See original message above (beginning thread) about value inquiry. Thanks.
Bear.

jbjennings

Captain

Wow! That motor does look in outstanding condition. Sadly, I saw one on craigslist in my area for $400 bucks and it was on there quite a while being reposted for several weeks. THat being said, if it runs as good as it looks, I'd have to ask $500 for it and see what happened. In some areas, you might get a little more for it. I'd think you'd easily get $300-$400 for the motor. I'd give you $400 for it myself if I was looking for a motor like that, especially if you'd let me test it on your boat before I bought it. Make sure when you advertise it you post pics under the cowl, a running pic (wide open and idle if possible), and a pic of the lower unit.
Good luck, that's a really nice looking motor.
AND I absolutely wouldn't sell it. You will NOT find a motor in that good of shape for what you'll get for it if it runs like you say. When the Honda breaks down, you'll have a backup. Please, do yourself a favor and keep that motor. Then again, I've got about a dozen in my garage so maybe I should keep my addictions to myself.;)
If you go fishing a lot, you WILL regret selling that motor, though! NO JOKE!
JBJ​

wbeaton

Commander

Completely depends on the motor's condition and the local market. Take a look at your local buyandsell, craigslist, etc and see what other comparable motors are selling for. Find the mean price and that's about what you can expect to get.

Great motors. However, your new Honda is probably great too. If you really don't see a need for it then sell it. Then use the money to rig your new boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is a great little motor. it would sell for more if it were a 9.9hp. it would make a great auxillary motor for a larger boat. it is light weight, and powerful enough to use as a troller, or emergency motor. where do you live as the troller mught be a great marketing idea.

catalyst-519

Seaman

You know I have a 76' 9.9. Same motor to a tee but with a small bore on the carb. Mine's modified to a 15hp carb.

I'm on the Bay of Quinte near Belleville, Ontario, Canada and these things go for $750-800 Canadian,. good running and a basic overhaul, coils, carb, impeller.

Just fyi