VA Striper D.C. area Striper fishin'

Striper 69

Cadet
How are you all doing? Anyway, I primarily fish the Pohick Bay and the Potomac River up through Georgetown and D.C. I am usually fishing for smallmouth, and catfish. BTW great place to catch cats is right under the Wilson Bridge. Anyway, didn't have a whole of success last spring with striper in that area and I know they run through there. Can anyone from the area tell me what they use to catch stripers on a consistent basis? Thanks and this site rocks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: VA Striper D.C. area Striper fishin'

A live herring

MYTJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iBoats Striper 69......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've seen guys killing them on live eels
Stick with the herring in the spring. Using live or dead eels for that matter is illegal in Maryland waters between December 15th and June 15th

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I wouldnt chum. The fish primarily feed off of live bait. If you throw in 20-25 hard to catch Herring you are wasting good bait in my opinion. :) I like to run some umbrella rigs behind the boat with my eyes on the fishfinder. When we start getting hits on the rigs we reel in the fish and then start running downriggers with live herring or gizzard shad.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Keep in mind though that I primarily fish Lake Anna, as well as other large lakes in VA. I am sure that techniques in the ocean or other areas are a bit different... Oddly enough, I caught a decent sized striper off of the coast of Ocean City, MD. Man there is some GREAT fishing there!!!!!!!