V4 Starboard Steam Cleaned Plugs?

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I decided to pull the plugs on my '85 76hp before heading out earlier today. I did this because the last time I was out I had some starting problems and threw in some (old)back up plugs I had on board. Because the plugs I had pulled last time out were new at the beginning of the season, I wanted to clean them and get them back in. So, I proceeded to pull the "back up" plugs. I was concerned when I pulled the "bu" plugs early this morning as I noticed the two starboard plugs had fairly white looking ceramic insulators. Nonetheless, I decided to stick with my plan and put the clean newer plugs back in. We proceeded to spend most of the day at the lake and went through about 12 gallons of gas. Overall, the motor performed OK though I did notice the idle was a little shakey and a few times I had to give the motor some revs in neutral to clear off the plugs. Anyway... when I got home I decided to pull the plugs for inspection. To my dismay the starboard plugs were notably cleaner than the ports again. After lurking around this board for some time now and searching some earlier posts, it seems the consensus is head gasket. Though I'm a little perplexed because....<br /><br />1. I replaced both gaskets last year - I thought I did it by book...<br /><br />2. What is the probability of both cyliders on one side going bad? Though they share the same gasket, the copper rings that seal the cylinders are independant.<br /><br />I hope it is indeed just a simple head gasket. Nontheless, are there any other areas that could allow water into both combustion chambers? Is there any possibility carburetion is causing this? My guess would be no because I don't believe the starboard cylinders share the same carbs. Anyway... any and all help/input is greatly appreciated.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: V4 Starboard Steam Cleaned Plugs?

any head gasket can fail, even new. the block and head may need surfaced if you didn't do that before installing the new ones.

McGR

Mikey, thanks for your reply. I did resurface the head using the old glass/sandpaper technique, though I did not check the block. BTW, I just got done with a compression test. To further complicate things, all cylinders were right at 125psi. So, no smoking gun here...

McGR

Another thought... Could I possibly be misdiagnosing water in the cylinder? Perhaps I'm seeing a cooling efficiency differance between the two cylinder banks. Would a bad deflector or other cooling system problem possibly cause the plugs on one side to look "whiter" than the other?