V Drive trans oil analysis 1999 380 DA

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat I am interested in had a prior buyer back out because the trans oil analysis says something about metal. I don't know exactly what it says, we are trying to get a copy from the survey. I expected to find a lot of posts about this but I can't find anything. What is problematic and what isn't?

I did find one post elsewhere that says that lead is no big deal as it indicates lead solder breaking down of the oil cooler and the trans itself is probably okay.

Thoughts appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
No expert on oil analysis, but ...
if the prior buyer backed out so this would tell me that the Trans needs rebuilding, and probably needs both done. Use that info to determine your price and if you still want to buy it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Metal in oil means the trans will soon need a rebuild.

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where all 380 DA Sea Ray 1999 V drives made by ZF?

Trying to figure out my worst case scenario if I have to rebuild or replace the V drives, but neither I or the seller know what make and model they are.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have the seller look at the tags on the transmissions

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I look at maybe 100 oil analysis samples every year. The short version of this is a 1 off oil sample really doesn't mean much unless it's showing water, potassium, or sodium, all of which indicate a saltwater leak.
'
Oil analysis is used as a tool by fleets to measure engine wear over time so the bean counters can figure out how long machinery is going to last and budget for it.

If you have an oil analysis that shows high "XYZ" metal, the question becomes what does XYZ metal mean? The answer is if it's a 1 time sample from a piece of machinery that does not have a documented history of oil analysis it doesn't mean anything.

Maybe it's contamination.
Maybe the mass spectrometer read it wrong (it happens).
Maybe it's normal for that machinery.
Maybe it's an additive in the oil being used.
Maybe it's an additive that somebody added to the oil being used.

With any piece of machinery that an oil analysis shows something suspect, the correct thing to do is change the engine oil and filter, put some hours on that machinery, and then resample the oil.

The problem with boats is nobody ever does that during the buying process.

Oil analysis results can be the kiss of death when it comes to a sales. You can have high XYZ metals that don't actually mean anything because it was a fluke, or it was normal. Without having a history of analysis results from that same piece of machinery, you really don't know what the results even mean.

Finally, transmissions have wearable metallic clutch plates inside of them, they always show high metals of many different types. Other than looking for water, sodium, or potassium in the sample, analysis on a transmission is almost a waste of time.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Hey,...... Long time, No see,......

How ya doin' Jason,....... ;)
Hi Bill,

I am doing well thanks, how are things on your end?

I am down in SW FL where I have been for the last 10 years. I own a survey company and spend my days surveying boats and playing my part in processing boat insurance claims. I was ground zero for Hurricane Ian and have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger since the storm came through. That's on top of all the day to day BS fraud claims I deal with.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi Bill,

I am doing well thanks, how are things on your end?

I am down in SW FL where I have been for the last 10 years. I own a survey company and spend my days surveying boats and playing my part in processing boat insurance claims. I was ground zero for Hurricane Ian and have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger since the storm came through. That's on top of all the day to day BS fraud claims I deal with.
Ayuh,...... Doin' Ok,..... 'bout 3 years ago, I got sick of the BS in NY state, startin' in '15, the new water plan on lake ontario flooded the ground floor of my forever house, knee deep, for 3 or 4 months of the year,...... By '18, they were claiming climate change, rather than water management was causin' it,.... :rolleyes:
Along 'bout that time, the ex, 'n I weren't gettin' along, 'n the owner of the company decided to change his business plan,.....

So,.... I sold my houses, retired, packed up all my junk, 'n moved back to my home town, Milford Maine,..... An ole childhood friend set me up
bout 20 miles from town(out in the big woods) where he owns several gravel pits, I now work at my leisure fixin' things like gravel screens, the wash plant, loaders, etc,....
Mostly I'm here in case of an issue, so's to keep the gravel flowin',.....

I've got a nice little hideout on 1,000 acres behind a gate, 'n my shop is 3 miles down the road,....
Mike pays me very well when I bill him hours, 'n he covers the expenses of the hideout, 'n shop,.....
When I'm not doin' things for him, I've got a few boat projects going, 'n a cute little '63 Jeep CJ I bought 'bout a year ago,.....
Met a lady friend a couple years back that lives down on the coast, which gives me an excuse to go play in the brine, catchin' big fish, that can bite back,......

All in all,..... Not how I expected to finish out my days, but livin' a damn nice plan B,.....

Great to see ya again my friend,...... ;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,...... Doin' Ok,..... 'bout 3 years ago, I got sick of the BS in NY state, startin' in '15, the new water plan on lake ontario flooded the ground floor of my forever house, knee deep, for 3 or 4 months of the year,...... By '18, they were claiming climate change, rather than water management was causin' it,.... :rolleyes:
Along 'bout that time, the ex, 'n I weren't gettin' along, 'n the owner of the company decided to change his business plan,.....

So,.... I sold my houses, retired, packed up all my junk, 'n moved back to my home town, Milford Maine,..... An ole childhood friend set me up
bout 20 miles from town(out in the big woods) where he owns several gravel pits, I now work at my leisure fixin' things like gravel screens, the wash plant, loaders, etc,....
Mostly I'm here in case of an issue, so's to keep the gravel flowin',.....

I've got a nice little hideout on 1,000 acres behind a gate, 'n my shop is 3 miles down the road,....
Mike pays me very well when I bill him hours, 'n he covers the expenses of the hideout, 'n shop,.....
When I'm not doin' things for him, I've got a few boat projects going, 'n a cute little '63 Jeep CJ I bought 'bout a year ago,.....
Met a lady friend a couple years back that lives down on the coast, which gives me an excuse to go play in the brine, catchin' big fish, that can bite back,......

All in all,..... Not how I expected to finish out my days, but livin' a damn nice plan B,.....

Great to see ya again my friend,...... ;)
Glad to hear you are doing well. I have 2 houses, the main home and a rental. The storm put water in both houses. One insurance company has been good to deal with, the other not so much. All I can do is keep on trucking.