V drive noise

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a boat that is new to me, the starboard V drive makes a whining noise while underway. What do you think is this gears, bearings, or alignment? or is it just normal for RV-26? The Port side is an RV-50, no idea why. Oil level is good, it has a small leak from the pan, but doesn't seem significant.

alldodge

Staff member
Vid doesn't work
There should be no noise while in gear. Can be a slight rattle in neutral at idle if the motor is not firing real smooth

Unable to find specs (have install and repair manual) on each Walter model. The 26 is not as beefy as the 50. If boat cam with 26 then my thought is, one was replaced and finding a 50 then it should last longer. Now if it came with 50 and find a 26 that's a different thought.

Are the gear ratios the same?

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, maybe I should just try to find an rv-50, any ideas what the cost for one would be?

The video is on youtube, not sure why that wouldn't work.

alldodge

Staff member
Just copy select the media icon, its in the second row. Select the 3 dots next to the pic icon to show the row

Did it come with a 50, or just guessing?

Don't know what it would cost off hand, but search on it and should come up with something.

alldodge

Staff member
Your vid has been disabled for play back on other sites by the owner

matt167

Rear Admiral
Well, you've got twin engines, so at least you'll make it home... That sounds ugly

I'd find an RV-50 that matches the other one. I know nothing about V drives except it shouldn't sound like that. That's bearings and gears eating themselves