V-6 Merc Carb Question

monkster

Cadet
OK here goes... I bought a used 1990 V-6 200hp Merc powerhead from a local here in FL who builds race engines. The guy was going to rebuild it, but he sold it to me instead. At some point the carbs were removed. When he sold it to me, he said he would put the carbs back on before he shipped it. I had the powerhead rebuilt. I took the carbs apart myself and the jets are all frozen up. All 3 carbs are WH48's. According to my Seloc's manual, the 1990 200hp Mercs came with 3 WH46's or 3 WH49's. WH48's came on the 150hp. Now I'm thinking either the guy sold me a 150hp block or he put the wrong carbs back on. So I had the local Merc dealer look up the serial # and he said that all he could tell me is that the block could be from a 1989 or 1990 135hp - 200hp... not much help. Now since the jets in the WH48's are all bad, I decided to replace all 3 carbs if I could find 3 good used ones. Now I have no idea as to what the correct carbs are! I started looking around in the local papers for someone who had a blown powerhead. I found 3 WH30's from a 1996 175hp that are in good condition. They are dual floats like the WH48's. My question is will they work and how do I go about finding the correct jet sizes. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Fastcat

Cadet
Re: V-6 Merc Carb Question

Why not rebuild present carbs? What are you planning to use boat for? I can help.

monkster

Cadet

Thanks FASTCat,<br />I tried to break down the carbs that I have but the jets are all frozen. I tried soaking, heating, etc... I managed to get one loose but thats about it. I'm not really sure that the WH48's are the correct carbs. I found a really good deal on the WH30's. Just don't know if I can make them work.

Fastcat

Cadet

Try Rick@rickracer.com he's a Mercury guy and always willing to help, might be a kit involved. I've bought a ton of parts through him. Scaryfast.com is another great source for any specific technical guestion.

monkster

Cadet

Thanks FASTCat! Next time I am in Vegas, I'll spot you a beer!

Fastcat

Cadet

OK, now you got me serious. Just remembered, I have a set of carbs off an 86 200hp, I blew the motor, tore up the block, carbs are perfect. I have a 90 2.4 carb also, I'll check my part # today, if they will work, I'll beat your other deal. Gimme a few hours.

monkster

Cadet

Thanks FASTCat!<br />You are the man! I have a guy here in FL who is attempting to look up the block serial number to see what HP I have. I will let you know. I will GLADLY take those extra carbs off your hands!<br /><br />THanks, <br />Mark

monkster

Cadet

FASTCat,<br />I finally got the engine info. The block is from a 1989 150hp 2.0L It has 5 petal horizontal reeds.<br /><br />Thanks Again!<br />Mark