Utah...Nice Move Judge!

NYMINUTE

Captain
Judge approves 'GAYSROK' license plate<br /><br />Thursday, July 28, 2005; Posted: 9:29 a.m. EDT (13:29 GMT) <br /><br /><br />Elizabeth Solomon stands outside of her home in Park City, Utah. <br />SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- The state of Utah can't block a woman from using her license plate to tell the world "GAYSROK," a judge has ruled.<br /><br />The state has no good reason to prevent Elizabeth Solomon from having that plate -- which can be read "Gays are OK" or "Gays Rock" -- or another one saying "GAYRYTS," according to Jane Phan, an administrative law judge with the Utah State Tax Commission.<br /><br />"The narrow issue before us is whether a reasonable person would believe the terms 'gays are OK' and 'gay rights' are, themselves, offensive to good taste and decency. It is the conclusion of the commission that a reasonable person would not," Phan wrote.<br /><br />The state can appeal the July 19 decision.<br /><br />"We're discussing it, and we have 30 days to do that," Barry Conover, deputy director of the commission, which oversees Utah's Department of Motor Vehicles, said Wednesday.<br /><br />"It kind of opens up the door for all types of people who want to make a license plate a public forum, for every initiative," he said.<br /><br />Dani Eyer, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah, which represented Solomon, countered: "The government can't pick and choose what subjects it likes and does not like."<br /><br />Solomon, of Park City, on Wednesday said she considered the judge's decision as a victory for her daughter, who is gay, and for two gay male friends.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Utah...Nice Move Judge!

If they ban political statements (or is that a social statement?) from plates, it seems to me they can ban socio/poilitical statements from Tshirts.<br /><br />A whole generation would be topless! :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I need one that says, "STR84U" on it. Wonder if I could get one? :rolleyes:

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Maybe I need one that says, "STR84U" on it. Wonder if I could get one? :rolleyes:
That would be deemed offensive. Why are you such a hate monger? You have no right to be "straight". You are essentially calling others "crooked". :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

KNOTQUER sounds good too. What will I do with my SIMON SAYS......YOU SUCK Tee shirt?

Twidget

Commander

I seem to remember reading something about a woman in California losing her license plate because of what it said. She had evidently had it for years, it was her initials.... JAP.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Why are so many people devoting so much time to such an unimportant subject? Who cares what they want to put on their number plate, or their T-shirt. As long as it's not crude, I don't give a rat's arse!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by achris:<br /> Why are so many people devoting so much time to such an unimportant subject? Who cares what they want to put on their number plate, or their T-shirt. As long as it's not crude, I don't give a rat's arse!
Unfortunately because there are millions of people who don't see things the same as you and feel it is their civic duty to fight people :) <br /><br />For the rest of who do, all we can do is sit back and shake our heads. Sad but true.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I agree, why do people need the state to validate their sexuality. Why did they start this fight? I don't get it. Ever hear of a bumper sticker?<br /><br />Just sticking it in the face of those who just don't care what goes on in their bedroom. Ever see a STR8BGR8 licence? Or a lawsuit to get it approved?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have loved those women every since I found out I wasn't one. I don't understand gay people and their feelings, but must say let them live in peace with their life. I have some friends that are gay. One is my best friends dad. When he came out after 30 years of marriage to hide his true self, he became happier than I have ever seen him. He doesn't have to live a lie about who he is anymore. Another friend came out a few years ago aftger a suicide attempt. Now he too is happeir than I have ever seen him. He says he tried to force himself to like women b ut couldn't. He tried to ignore the way he was but was not happy. It wasn't a choice, it was just the way he is. I told him that to me he was still the same great person he has always been. There is no better person in the world. <br />Both my friends do not like these peoiple who flaunt their feelings or uses it to make a statement, but neither one would ever cover up again. <br />I disagree with their lives, but who am I to judge? I feel it is wrong and just plain nasty, but it is not my choice....I hate spinich too but won't try to turn anyone else off of it.<br />I am just saddened that this great country of ours that brags and flies flags of freedom, must force someone to go to court to exercise the freedom that we all brag about declare. If this lifestule scares you, simply turn away and ignore go on with life.<br />Unless we could re-write the constitution and preamble. <br />We hold these truths self evident that all men are created equal as long as they all agree with my opinions, demonstrate the same beliefs as I, paint their house colors that I like, and so on.<br />Not what some of us fought for. <br />freedom and equality are a few things I hold very dear to me. No I do not agree with them, but I thank God that I live in a country that allows everyone to express themselves, and allows everyone to be free and live in persuit of happieness. <br />Or do I?

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

RE: Judge approves 'GAYSROK' license plate....<br /><br />Maybe they could reverse the words. :p

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I saw a license plate the other day that said "STIPHY1"....cracked me up.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> simply turn away and ignore go on with life.<br />
I liked your whole post. Very well said. The statement above though, I wished people these days would just get it through their thick skulls that there is more to life than holding down others. It doesn't just happen to gays, but to minorities, and between social groups. I don't understand why ADULTS have to play childs games like this. <br /><br />I guess the problem with even saying anything about it here is the offending parties will never see it. From what I've seen of most everyone on the board (atleast the livelyhood of it), is everyone here is VERY open minded. Just wished there was a way to get everyone else to see what they are doing to themselves.