USPS ebay overcharges?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: USPS ebay overcharges?

I recently ran across an item using the "calculator". Seller had previously used a flat $5 shipping on a 2# package ($20 item). Now he has it hidden in the calculator set up for $65 shipping, for the same item!!!!!!!!<br /><br />I emailed him for the correct shipping charge, took him 4 days to answer me, and he said $65.<br /><br />Definitely trying to pull a fast one by hiding the charge in the calculator. Some people won't check the shipping calculator, and some will think it is a mistake. <br /><br />I notified ebay of his fee avoidance violations :) and the handling fee.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

FYI - You should be using book rate for mailing printed materials. Media mail is for charts, videos, film reel canisters, etc.<br /><br />I don't know if it matters, or which one is cheaper, just what the counterperson told me. :rolleyes:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I look at the item very carefully. If I see one of those calculator links, I go to another auction. I was burnt by that once. I won't do it again.

Homerr

Commander

Sorry for the confusion Rosco... I meant book rate... For some reason, I always called it media mai. <br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by samagee:<br />Yep, I look at the item very carefully. If I see one of those calculator links, I go to another auction. I was burnt by that once. I won't do it again.
Is it really that difficult to put your zip code in the little box? If you can't handle that you shouldn't be using ebay. You should allways look at the shipping cost before you bid. It isn't very hard. If you don't agree with it, don't bid. It's as simple as that. You weren't "burned" by that, it was your own mistake. Yes, some people do charge WAAAY too much for shipping, but usually those auctions end for less money because of it. There is absolutley nothing wrong with a reasonable handling fee, nearly any business that does any shipping does just that. Boxes, labels, packing peanuts, and gas to get to the post office all cost money.

Homerr

Commander

You're absolutely right Oz...<br /><br />Anymore, I go directly to the shipping costs before I even look at the item. If the shipping isn't what I want to pay, I move on to a different seller. Simple as that.<br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Homerr:<br />Now here's the part that flames me.... I just received an e-mail from one of my buyers that they haven't received their book yet...
I will NEVER ship anything without some sort of tracking number. If I do for some reason I'm ready to eat the cost of whatever I shipped. I sold some computer parts on ebay a while ago...$100. The auction clearly stated insurance was $1.10 extra, but the buyer didn't want it. Few days later the dumbass told me he never got it. Complained to PayPal and they took my $100 back. Then the idiot sends me another email a few days later, "Oh sorry, the package has been sitting here all along, I must have missed it". Never did get my money back... :rolleyes:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

like SBN & JB, I wouldn't feel comfortable not<br />fully disclosing shipping/handling in the auction<br />description. If I added handling to MY customers<br />in MY biz I would be laughed outa the industry!<br />whatever works for you I guess....

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I add a $1.50 handling charge to all of my items sold on eBay. Once the packaging and time are taken into account, I lose money on my handling.<br /><br />Then there is the shipping calculator. I have yet to experience where the calculator gives an accurate cost for shipping and handling. I weigh the item before posting (including packaging) and use that weight for calculation plus handling. Very seldom do I break even on the deal for shipping. <br /><br />Since I sell mainly collectibles and garage sale stuff, it doesn't bother me much losing a little on the shipping and handling, just the cost of doing business. However, if I were paying for my own server, had employees or was doing eBay as my full time job, you bet I would turn some profit on the shipping and handling. <br /><br />I have had customers email and say they thought my shipping and handling was too high for the item purchased. If they have already paid, I'll let them know I will refund the difference between what they felt the shipping should have cost and actual after they receive the item. Not a single one has ever complained about the cost once they have the item. In fact, a lot of my feedback has comments about how well the item was packaged, arrived just as described, etc. Also, if an item arrives damaged, I'll refund the purchase price sight unseen.