Using WD-40

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am just kind of curious. I read a lot of reference in this form to guys spraying WD-40 in/onto carbs. The reason it peaks my interest is because in the gun/hunting circles using WD-40 on actions and other moving parts is considered a no-no because it tends to leave residue and gum things up. This leads me to think one would not want to use it in, on or around a carb.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Using WD-40

WD-40 used to be a good starting fluid for 2 strokes, as it was very flammable and contained lubricants (unlike ether). The new formulation uses a much less volatile propellant, and it doesn't work as it used to.

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not the WD-40 that gums things up, it's the air born debris that adhere to the wd40 that gums things up.<br /><br />On the water it's not dust your kicking up, its water. Your basicaly in a clean enviroment thus no air filters on marine engines. ;)

ZmOz

Captain

WD-40 used to contain ether as it's propellant. (main ingredient in starting fluid) Now it uses CO2...which of course puts out fire. :mad: Oh well...if you're going to spray something in your carbs I would strongly suggest Deep Creep by Seafoam.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Close, ZmOz.<br /><br />It was propane that was in the old (good) WD-40.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I boat in salt water and use WD40 to spray on the outside of my motor as a rust preventative as part of my clean-up. I buy it by the gallon and use a spray bottle.

Forktail

Ensign

WD-40 is an excellent water dispersing oil and moisture protector. It contains petroleum distillates and base oils that won't harm the outside or inside of your outboard. ;)