Using parking brake while launching

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I've got a question for you folks about launching with my '97 Toyota T100 pickup. Recently, I had both rear wheel seals replaced. In doing so, the dealer disabled the parking brake from one of the rear wheels. I don't recall all the specifics, only that the job would have been much more expensive had they made the parking brake on both rear wheels operational. Long story short, the launch ramp I use is very steep and with the parking brake only working on one side, it alone is not enough to hold the boat and the truck on the incline. I put the transmission in park, which holds it just fine but with all the strain on the transmission when its sitting on the ramp in park, the transmission makes a noticeably louder "clunk" then normal upon shifting to drive. Could this hurt the transmission? Do the rest of you guys with automatics set your parking brake before shifting to park to keep the strain off the transmission? Thanks for the help

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using parking brake while launching

Yes, I always set the parking brake first, then put the transmission in Park. Do the opposite when getting under way (put transmission in drive, then release the brake).

I forgot the name of the part in the transmission that can go bad (fork or something), but repeatedly forcing the gear selector out of park with a big thunk isn't good.

It's rather curious how the dealer let the truck out without doing a complete job.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yeah i would get that fixed before launching it again...thats ALOT of weight all put on that poor tranny.

reelfishin

Captain

It's rather curious how the dealer let the truck out without doing a complete job.

That's what I was thinking, what kind of screwed up deal does a half of a brake job like that?
Here, it's not even legal to release a vehicle to the customer that has any sort of brake of safety issue.

It sounds to me like they either only fixed one wheel, or there's a problem with the other side brake adjuster or parking brake cable?

The ramps here aren't very steep, I rarely need to set the brake, usually just putting it in a lower gear works fine. I back in, leave it in gear, dc the boat and tie it off and park the truck, I come back and get on my way. Mine is a stick shift of course. My E brake works fine though, I just rarely use it.

I'd definitely get that thing fixed right, there may be other issues with the rear brakes going on if it's not just a seized up cable.

fishrdan

Admiral

Do the rest of you guys with automatics set your parking brake before shifting to park to keep the strain off the transmission?

Always... That's a lot of stress on the parking pawl and the snap you hear when you drop it out of park isn't a good thing.

The parking brake is something you need to get fixed ASAP, especially since it will keep your truck out of the drink.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ramps here aren't very steep, I rarely need to set the brake, usually just putting it in a lower gear works fine. I back in, leave it in gear, dc the boat and tie it off and park the truck, I come back and get on my way. Mine is a stick shift of course. My E brake works fine though, I just rarely use it.

You're good with your feet! If I tried that I'd have spinning wheels, a smoking clutch and/or a car in the lake. For me its one foot on the gas, one foot on the clutch, one hand on the wheel and one hand on the e-brake. The e-brake gets released when I feel the front wheels start to pull.

Moody Blue

Captain

Firstly, I would find a COMPETANT mechanic. Performing a half assed job like that is simple negligence. You say it was a dealer :eek:?

Secondly, I would get the parking/emergency brake fixed properly whether I towed a boat or not. You are not driving a safe vehicle without the full braking system being functional.

As for the tranny, when you put the gear into Park you are engaging the parking pawl, a "little" pin in the transmission that locks the driveline. Under enough stress the pin can/will sheer resulting in a free driveline and your vehicle in the water and a very expensive repair bill for the tranny.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Keep this in mind.

Your dealer told you "only that the job would have been much more expensive had they made the parking brake on both rear wheels operational"

It is obvious that you decided to take the short cut and not get it repaired properly. You are "stressing" the parking prawl in the transmission and that will be significantly MORE money to repair then the rear brake system.

Moody Blue go back and read the original post before you call the mechanic negligent.

My advice is to bite the bullet and get the parking brakes fixed correctly since you are in a situation that requires it.

reelfishin

Captain

Chances are that one of the rear parking brake cables are frozen, and couldn't be hooked back up. I still can imagine a dealer letting that go like that.
I worked for years in dealerships, there's no way a truck would roll out the door like that. It would be a matter of liability. The management would have had the customer sign all sorts of wavers and made him tow it out of the shop at the very least.

I can't imagine them letting it go with a mechanical brake problem other than that at all. If one is working, then the lever and ratchet up front are good, and at least one rear cable is good. I'm not that familiar with that truck to know off hand whether it's got a single or double rear cable but it sounds like it probably has a left and right rear e brake cable.

If it's a matter of money, then maybe he needs to find someone that can fix it or install the parts for less. (When I last worked at a dealer, they were at $110 per hour, while private shops were still at $60/hr).

Shizzy

Ensign

this is the reason even in a vehicle with an automatic transmission you need to use the parking brake on a regular basis. it doesnt get use, the you try to use it and its now rusted solid either not working or sticking the rear wheels.

I always use my parking brake. I have manual transmission, but thats not the point.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Parking brake... I always thought it was called an EMERGENCY brake. I guess in these times of feel good marketing lingo "parking" sounds less ominous.

It still performs the same function though; if the brakes die it stops the car. With only one side working when you need it be prepared for a spin if the road surface is less than perfect. I hope your boats not in tow.....

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Parking brake always gets used anytime I park, be it in a stick or auto. Just think of the one time you don't, and the park pawl doesn't fully engage, and the truck roles over a small child. Sure, that won't happen on flat ground, but if you get into the habit of using it every time you stop, you wont have to worry about forgetting it on a hill.

I certainly wouldn't trust the transmission alone to hold on a ramp. Not a safe prospect at all.

Moody Blue

Captain

Moody Blue go back and read the original post before you call the mechanic negligent.

Bob, in my view anyone who intentionally disables or removes an essential safety component or system, whether instructed to do so or not, is acting negligently. I'm not familiar with the automotive regulations in the US, but in Canada that vehicle would not be able to be licensed for the road without a fully functional braking system.

Venturing off topic from the OP question, sorry for the distraction.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

In Texas, to pass inspection you must have a fully operational parking brake system. If you park your vehicle without setting the parking brake, it is a ticketable offense in Texas. The only time we write tickets on that is when a vehicle, that is unattended, rolls and crashes into another vehicle, due to the park lock failing on a automatic tranny, or gear failure in a standard. I drive a standard so it's habit to set the brake on my truck.

A.R.K.

Cadet

Ah, you need a chock block for your truck:

214WnNzf9JL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

There is one lake that I go to that REQUIRES chock blocks for every launch. They don't want any trucks in the drink because the drink is the water supply for Boston.

This works best if you have someone with you that can block the wheel before you get out. I use one every time I launch because I just don't have a lot of faith in parking brakes, especially if they got at all wet going down the ramp. Get a heavy rubber chock since a block of wood will float if your wheels are in the water. You can pick them up at most home improvement stores. Attach a rope to it for easy one man retrieval as you are pulling out.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 what A.R.C said

you can even toss it out the window with the rope tied around the side mirror and if by yourself, ask someone to place under front wheel, or if your long legged and multi taskable hold right foot on break and shimmy out under the door and kick chalk in place with the left leg

mthieme

Captain

Personally, I don't use the parking brake but my ramp is not steep.
HOWEVER, I agree with everyone else as far as having it operational.
I'm thinking one of the cables is frozen. If you can afford the seals, you can afford a cable.

Shizzy

Ensign

+1 what A.R.C said

you can even toss it out the window with the rope tied around the side mirror and if by yourself, ask someone to place under front wheel, or if your long legged and multi taskable hold right foot on break and shimmy out under the door and kick chalk in place with the left leg

I have mine tied to a rope that I can hook on the back of my truck. There is a large unused hole in the lower side of my box I hook the rope to. I just pull forward and drag the chock with me till I get to flat ground.

reelfishin

Captain

I have mine tied to a rope that I can hook on the back of my truck. There is a large unused hole in the lower side of my box I hook the rope to. I just pull forward and drag the chock with me till I get to flat ground.

Been there done that, but not at a boat ramp.
But I can't say I'd recommend it. It's bound to end up on youtube.

I was down in Kentucky and I watched a guy with an old farm truck and flat bed putting a boat in like that a few years ago, the truck probably had little to no brakes, so they had a guy on each side with a huge rubber chock on a stick to stop the truck on the ramp. The boat however looked brand new, the truck was a wreck, but not that old at the time, but badly hobbled together from odd parts.
It was one of those times I wished I had my video camera.