Using OMC coils on my 1949 Mercury KF-5 instead of Phelon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have heard of using the standard/modern omc coils in place of the phelon, with minimal shaving of the laminations. Has anyone done this? do I have to have omc condensers now? I hesitate because once I shave the laminations, they'll be too small and may not work right with the phelons. The phelons cost about 30 bucks each, the omc can be had for 20 bucks, but since I have a few already, it'd be free.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Using OMC coils on my 1949 Mercury KF-5 instead of Phelon

Hmm, check this link:
(http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt1_replacewico_coil.htm[/url] )
It doesn't address replacing Phelon coils with OMC, but the process should be roughly the same. I don't think condensors are voltage specific, ie. matched to particular coils, but not sure. Try it out and let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Can it be done? Yep - been done. BUT, the OMC coils route the wires differently and it you'll have to implement some jackpine savage style rigging to get the plug wires out the bottom of the plate. Personally, I prefer sticking with original, although I do use OMC condensers in my Phelon magnetos - the weak point was those tiny Phelon (Failin') condensers.
- Scott

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info, I've done this procedure before on an old gale 12 hp, as per an article in the antique outboarder, by Peter Mc Dowell. But I wasn't sure about doing it on a merc. Scott, I'll probably take your advice, bite the bullet and buy the phelons, as I already have to buy an impeller, gaskets and the such. It's gonna cost me more then what I paid for the motor. But this is my first Merc re-build and I am pretty psy'd about it. By the way, anyone have a spare "Choke Lever" from the AJ-30A, i think the part number is 23304A1 or 20178A1. I also need a recoil cover as the previous owner took a hack saw to it. UGH!
thanks everyone.
mc

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi MCHIN,
Sorry - I sold my only 7.2 cube parts motor at a meet last year. It was complete, too. I had robbed the nearly perfect cowlings off it for my good running KF5, and swapped my grubby dinged up tank and cowlings back onto the parts motor.
If you do use an OMC condenser, they fit a little differently. You can mount them vertically, but you need to trim the mounting tab to get them to fit. If you want to mount them horizontally (if your mag plate has the figure-8 shaped cover plate over the points & condensers, you'll need to) you'll need to trim the tab off entirely and make a strap for the condenser. The OMC condensers are very close in their ?F rating and won't burn your points.
- Scott

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great info, my only hesitation is not wanting to cut up the laminations and mag plate. I did a trial fit and know that I'd have to trim here and there in a bunch of places. hmmm... decision time.

thanks again for the expert information, it helps a lot.
-mc

tallcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can put OMC coils in just about any mag you want, provided you follow a few simple rules.

1. Replacement coil(s) must clear all obstructions.
2. If you use 2 OMC coils they both MUST be facing the same direction.
3. Coil(s) must fit as snug as humanly possible on the old laminations.
I have recently replaced the original coil in a 1938 Neptune Mastertwin 16 hp
with 2 OMC coils. Sweet blue spark.

The OMC conversion has been completed in many makes of outboards like Neptune, Lockwood, Mercury. I can't seem to think of the others.

Be patient. If ya wanna try it, email me. I would be glad to help.

Richard

lipinski

Cadet

I know this thread is old, but I figured I'd try anyways...

I'm considering this on a '68 Merc 110 (9.8HP) since the aftermarket coils for that outboard run in the $65-90, which is outrageous.

Anyone know what was meant by the following point:

2. If you use 2 OMC coils they both MUST be facing the same direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.