Using Neoprene Strips to Cushion Marine Gas Tank

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
By now, mot of us have read about the issues using foam to seal and cushion marine tanks. Sooner or later it invites corrosion. I have been working on my 1986 Sea Ray Amberjack restoration for almost 4 years. Covid and health issues have cause many delays. I am ready to install gas tanks. SR I/Os are notoriously rear-end heavy. 1987 SR got smarter and relocated tanks further towards bow and along gunnel. I am relocating (2) 50 gal tanks each (20"x 19"x 47") under captain and mate bunks. Unfortunately, I only have a 2' height x 3' depth x 5' length working area to play in, which is tight for my 250 lbs, and although the places where I will lay tanks is relative flat, it was not perfect. It had curves. Tanks would roll a bit. I had to build up thickness surface on tanks or boat surfaces to make sure tanks laid as flat as possible. I chose tanks. I had just enough room between tanks and the boat's planned mounting surfaces to apply epoxy resins ( with fumed silica) and lay tanks on resins to conform and make a good mating surface to boat. Releasing wax worked great. But, my building tank surfaces is not perfect. I plan on cutting and pasting 2" x 47" x 1/4" neoprene strips onto tanks or boat surface to act to fill in resin imperfections and cushion tanks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
How about self stick weather stripping? Should work about the same and be much easier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how about EPDM rubber strips that wont absorb water and hold it against the tank. historically they used roofing felt (tar paper) folded twice.

I would not use any foam weather stripping as it will hold moisture against the tank

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
how about EPDM rubber strips that wont absorb water and hold it against the tank. historically they used roofing felt (tar paper) folded twice.

I would not use any foam weather stripping as it will hold moisture against the tank
I am hoping that the neoprene would compress where surfacing mating irregularities caused issues. Not familiar with EPDM rubber. I'll research it