Using navigation lights with bow lights in unison.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've been doing a lot more night boating lately and I've come to really appreciate the need for a bow light so I can spot obstacles, etc.

Assuming they give me the amount of light I'd want, they seem like a good option.

When it comes to wiring, I imagine I could just splice them into my nav lights since the wiring it right there at the bow.

The question is: is it normal to have your bow light on at the same time as your nav lights. Is there a reason I wouldn't want to run those together? Obviously it's going to be a LOT more work for me to route wires, etc. to a switch to handle the bow lights separately, but probably very easy to just tie into the nav lights.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 15920846_1500.jpg
    15920846_1500.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The question is: is it normal to have your bow light on at the same time as your nav lights. Is there a reason I wouldn't want to run those together? Obviously it's going to be a LOT more work for me to route wires, etc. to a switch to handle the bow lights separately, but probably very easy to just tie into the nav lights.
You can have dock lights on with the nav lights when you are at the dock only

however it is illegal to have dock lights on while underway (Nav lights only)

that is a global IMO law (International Maritime Law) enforced by the USCG.

so you have to have a separate switch

regarding obstacles, a hand-held spotlight for a momentary look is ok. however keep your dash lights low, use only red courtesy lights to not loose night vision and use your radar.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...however it is illegal to have dock lights on while underway (Nav lights only)
I must have forgotten this law.

So, if I understand correctly, if boating at night, I *essentially* cannot "see" unless there is something I know I'm specifically looking out for and would use a handheld light quickly.

This information changes the game for me. We've been coming in lately after its pretty dark and just recently made the decision that I don't want to boat that late unless I can "see" what's around me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Of all the annoying things that illiterate boaters do, the MOST annoying thing is when a boat is coming toward you with bow lights on.

Sure go ahead and use them if you are out all by yourself. But when another boat approaches you need to be able to turn them off, while still have the nav lights on since its dark. Thus, you need a separate switch.

OTOH, I have tried them myself and found them to be a nuisance. Too much glare and reflection to be able to see the water ahead. They call them "docking lights" because they are used to light up a dark dock as you approach it.

But that's just my opinion. If you do buy a pair install them with duct tape so you can make adjustments. Don't permanently mount them until you are sure the position will meet your requirements.

PS - yes they are illegal, but just like speeding in a no-wake zone, people use them all the time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, those LED lights are .4A. I know LED lights are more efficient than incandescent lights, but those LEDs are less than 5 Watts. I doubt those will light up more than 10 foot from the bow.

The cheapest Wallyworld handheld spot light is 100W.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As noted above, you will not be popular.

You can't switch night vision off and on. It's acquired over time and every time someone switches on a light, you loose night vision and have to get acclimated again.

If its too dark to "see", you should use FLIR or radar technology

Gee, those LED lights are .4A. I know LED lights are more efficient than incandescent lights, but those LEDs are less than 5 Watts. I doubt those will light up more than 10 foot from the bow.
Generally speaking, LED is 10 times more efficient than incandescent. Looking at roughly a 50W light bulb x 2

dwco5051

Commander
Imagine you are running at night with you "headlights" on an another boat is approaching you head on. All he sees are the white light because they overpower the red and green running lights. The other boat assumes that you and he are on the same course and he thinks those are the stern white light so he will decide to overtake you on one side or the other and will have a little time to decide since he thinks you are both going the same direction. Next thing is a sudden head on meeting.

Also those lights interfere with other operators night vision. If you can't see obstructions far enough ahead slow down. Back when I was still working emergency calls or pursuits when on night patrol were not for the faint of heart.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
some light reading on navigation lights, etc.

BTW, LED accent lights anywhere exterior of a boat at night are also not legal.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
some light reading on navigation lights, etc.

BTW, LED accent lights anywhere exterior of a boat at night are also not legal.
like those "cool-looking" underwater lights, often at the stern - tied up and not running at the dock, fine, very cool - while underway, most confusing to other boaters underway, and dangerous for all...

running a boat after dark is not for the faint-of-heart, or the uninformed

flashback

Captain
Nav lights have a specific function all others are a hindrance. Dock lights are nice if you are docking, the accent lights are a fad, I live on the river and sometimes a novice barge pilot will be scorching the shoreline with a floodlight but only for moments at a time, it still scorches my night vision but I understand. The whole game is to use lights as seldom as needed. 4th of July can be challenging.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I concur with the comments so far. If you are on a large body of water like a lake, a bay or the ocean bow lights are mostly useless. You only see what is in the very narrow beam of light. That is probably less than 1% of the total 360 degree field of view. Unless you are going through a debris field keep the darn light off. On large bodies of water at night your most important and useful vision aid is your night vision. As soon as you switch on the bow/docking lights you kill your night vision. Then you are mostly blind. And you kill other boaters night vision. Be sure to dim your instrument lights as they will also destroy your night vision.

The only time a bow light or spot light is useful is while docking and on narrow bodies of water such as rivers, canals some sloughs etc. where you are close to shore, it’ll keep you from running into shore and protrusions sticking out from shore.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... When boatin' on big water at night, pitch black dark is where ya want to go,.....
Lights mean danger,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. I have docking lights from factory on one of my boats. If the reason for having them fitted to yours…is with the thinking that they will let you see where you’re going in open water and in the dark…forget that idea. At best…they might light up a docking area or similar at close quarters…but for the most part…they are just for show, as far as I can tell. Where I am…it’s often foggy at night time, especially coming into the river where I dock..having the docking lights on then…is a hindrance to vision. Its likely a hindrance to other boaters too in any circumstance.
Apart from all that…if your boat didn’t have them fitted from factory…I’m of the opinion that it’s never a clever idea to cut big holes out the hull of a boat, if you don’t need to. Better off with a hand held spotlight perhaps.
Before I go…another quick one…despite my boat being factory fitted with these….they came with high power halogen bulbs…one night I had them on for about an hour continuously….a smell of burning plastic caught my attention. The heat from one of them was enough to start melting the light fitting surrounding assembly. Glad I noticed it and quickly changed to LED bulbs there after 😂.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Here is a video of my lights on. Can understand why they would be annoying to other boaters nearby perhaps. If they don’t annoy folk…the exhausts might 😂

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you run the Mississippi River at night without lights in a small craft your family most likely will be planning your funeral. There are all types of debris floating down especially on a rising river. There are also wing dams made out of rift raft rocks. If you aren't using a navigation system or lights you will hit them. Best not to be out there at night, but if you do use a light, LOL. It won't bother the barge traffic and most likely you won't see anyone else cause there aren't many folks crazy enough to be out there with you.