Using Gluvit

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Hopefully the snow will melt soon here in South Jersey. I am looking forward taking my boat off the trailer and blocking it up to replacing the rest of the questionable hull bottom rivets I havent been able to get at. I bought a 1984 18 Starcraft Mariner CC last September. This is my first Aluminum boat and the seller told me a "few" rivets were loose. Since then I have replaced about 50 rivets that I could get at to use the boat for fishing last fall. The leaks are pretty much sealed and I will be putting the boat on blocks to get at the rest of the rivets. Plans are to keep the boat in the Delaware River for the summer. My deck is solid with no soft spots at all so I dont want to remove it. My question is can I seal the outside of the hull bottom with Gluvit and then paint over the Gluvit with an antifouling paint? What prep steps do I need? The bottom is currently not painted. I used 3M 5200 to seal evey closed end pop rivet I replaced. So each replaced rivet has a tiny 5200 dimple, I did wipe each rivet after insertion. I don't really care about having a baby butt smooth bottom, just want no leaks.
I go thru this site every nite and information gained has helped me to do things right the first time. My thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experiences

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: Using Gluvit

Yes gluvit will work on the outside. Be aware it is subject to UV degradation so it should be painted if it is exposed to sunlight. Sounds like your plans cover that.

A while ago I found a how to on the web of a total coating of a flat bottom boat with gluvit. It's out there somewhere.

Surface prep is critical, they have great instructions on their site.

Did the Delaware when I was a kid, raft and power. Great memories.

Albert

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Using Gluvit

Thanks, guess I'm gonna wait till the summer to get enough heat to make Gluvit set correctly.