using and engine battery to power a trolling motor

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Last time I'm gonna say it... In case my point was missed before.

Jumper cables are not safe for use while moving... Boats are always moving when on the water... Clamp on jumper cables are NOT SAFE to use in a boat.

If you must carry wire to connect two batteries in the same boat it should have ring terminals at each end and you attach to the batteries with nuts.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
hijacking this thread for a moment, when I was a teen the ski boat we used had a 115 merc. My friend pull started it. It was impressive. He was muscular to say the least and the event was talked about for years, so hats off to you.

Thanks, and I corrected my spelling of knot!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
easy... Replace your main battery with a deep cycle or hybrid marine battery. Yes, a deep cycle will start an engine in a normal recreational marine environment. (try to start a big block gas engine at -20, not going to happen, but that isn't a normal recreational marine situation either.)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks rallyart I am getting the cables and storing them on board better safe than sorry and I like having a plan B

Since it's an electric lake only, I'm assuming it's pretty small.

1st choice would be to swap the troller for the starting battery.

2nd choice would be to have a 2nd deep cycle for a backup. I would buy a none expensive one, if there is such a battery. I'm not big on hybrids.

3rd choice, if you must use jumper cables I would disconnect not only the starter battery, but the DC too. That way all the power is going to your motor and not trying to charge a dead battery.

4th choice, if this lake isn't monitored real well, I would "putz" with the OB back to the landing..... Then plead your case if you get caught.... :)

roffey

Commander
I was wondering if anyone has ever used all of the juice in their trolling motor battery and then disconnected their trolling motor battery and also disconnected their outboard battery and used jumper cables to power the trolling motor from the outboard battery or if you can even do that ? Do most of you carry jumper cables ?.

I think we might have lost the OP original question, He does have a deep cycle battery and was asking if he drained it can he use the cranking battery to get back to port. Short answer is yes, but don't use battery cables buy a selector switch. I am sure iboats has them ...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
We didnt lose it.. We answered his question multiple times and also answered the questions he didn't know to ask.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
.................... by just not giving him the "short answer".....:)

roffey

Commander
and the short answer is not as educational, LOL. As stated in the past you guys are the best and a wealth of information

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
hijacking this thread for a moment, when I was a teen the ski boat we used had a 115 merc. My friend pull started it. It was impressive. He was muscular to say the least and the event was talked about for years, so hats off to you.

Roffey
A long time ago I mean a long time ago I was on a lake with a friend whos parents had a boat on Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. As I recall the incident it was an inboard motor and the Belt broke. So I Macgyvered it and made a make shift belt using a knife,ski rope and tape to keep the water pump and the alternator going. The rope stretched several times causing it to fall off of the pulleys and it had to be redone. It was getting dark but we managed to limp back to the dock slowly.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I once limped one in with a belt made from a T shirt cut into strips and braided together.... skipped power steering and alternator and just ran from crank to water pump... heard a story about a guy doing the same with about 50 strands of fishing line.

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
Now that I think of it I too skipped the power steering and the alternator, It can be done all 3 of us are proof of that. I never thought of the T-shirt trick but that's a good one and everyone returns to the dock bare chested. Hopefully you had enough shirts and did not have to revert to pants or that would have been very embarrassing.