used trophy questions

boslaw

Cadet
I'm looking to buy a used 21' trophy walk around (I think it's model 2002). I've never owned a boat before, so I have no idea what to look for.

Beyond getting a survey done and a sea trial, any other advice? The boat was taken by a dealer in trade and the dealer is now looking to sell for $16k (includes a single axle trailer). I believe the engine is the original Mercury 150 that came with the boat.

Boat seems clean, although for some reason the name Trophy was taken off the side (but not the marlin pic).

cabin didn't smell musty, but the dashboard labels are all worn off. Maybe was stored outside?

Basically, I'm just looking for a starter boat for the family. I like to fish but will be bringing along my wife and 3 little kids (5, 3, 20 mos.) for most trips (which is why I like the cuddy - a place to get out of the spray & sun if needed).

Thanks in advance

Re: used trophy questions

To be quite honest I am not sure the Trophy is the type of boat for you with three little ones you may want to look at a cruiser style of boat. you can still fish out back but the wife would be much more happy especially looking after the three little ones and the seating arrangement is way more conducive to family boating.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 2002 model is one of the most popular Trophy's made. The old timers think the build quality was best in 2003. Most of the value is in the engine, so, have the engine thoroughly gone through by a trusted Merc dealer. The 4 stroke is the preferred motor .Though, many like the Optimax. The older 2 stroke motors will burn a lot of gas and are falling out of favor fast..

When checking out a boat, I will walk the decks feeling for soft spots. The wiring should look clean and organized. If someone has hacked on it or it appears to have water damage, pass on this boat. Get under the boat and look for impact marks. For example, I looked at an Arima last week that had a softball sized hole in the bottom that was badly patched with epoxy. Not good. Check around the transom for cracks, suggesting that the motor hit something and "may" have damaged the transom.

See if the dealer will let you take it out on a sea trial. Take your mechanic with you.

Evaluate the trailer brakes, tires and wiring.

Remember, this is a buyers market, check with www.boatrader.com, www.boats.com www.yachtworld.com etc etc.

To keep small children comfortable, make sure you have a bimini top to keep the sun off them. Stick with safe calm waters. Shorten your trips to keep from wearing them down.

As mentioned above, $16k is quite a bit. Check out the Bayliner 2452. You can find these used in this price range. The 2452 will offer quite a bit more cabin, a bathroom (wife happy) a refrigerator, decent berth etc etc.

john-o

Recruit

Trophy has been improving on thier boats for some time now. The 2002 is a great first boat but do be sure the layout fits your needs. I passed on a 2002 because I had a 2 year old that would be on the boat and I wanted a solid transom to help keep him in the boat. I did not like the short motor well. The year of the boat and model of engine would be good info so you can get better feedback. You said the motor was a 150 Mercury. Is it an Optimax or EFI? Optimax will give you just as good fuel economy as a four stroke, is very powerful, and is very reliable. The EFI is also very reliable but you will burn more fuel with that motor. Layout is the key. If the admiral is not happy with the three kids running around the boat then she and they will no longer go on the boat. I have a 02' Trophy model 2509 that is solidly built. It is my second boat and I am very pleased with it. If I were to get another boat I would look at Trophy first. Good boat for the price.

rode0

Cadet

Hi Guys from Australia
I have a 2007 2002 with a 175 Optimax
Basically a great boat
I use mine pretty much the same as you describe
Wife & kids and then me and the mates fishing.
The boat works well for this
You need to check 2 major things.
1. Make sure the live bait tank has been sealed where it joins the hull. If not when the boat is underway with the tank full and the pump going you will fill you hull with water. A very easy thing to rectify and it is not on all boats.
2. Make sure the inspection hatch in the transon is the late model screw in type, not the push in version. Mine leaked from new when the boat was backed down the ramp and this hatch was covered in water. Also at rest with a chop coming into this area water will fill the bilge. Very easy fix for the dealer and not on all boats.
I love my Trophy as it is an outstanding sea boat
Good luck and enjoy
Paulj

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PaulJ, FYI, we had a Trophy sink on the Monterey bay due to that transom hatch. If you haven't replaced it, do so.

rode0

Cadet

PaulJ, FYI, we had a Trophy sink on the Monterey bay due to that transom hatch. If you haven't replaced it, do so.

Thanks Man.
My hatch leaked from day 1 and so I became paranoid about pumping the bilge every 30 minutes.
When I finally got the dealer to believe me they claim it is the first time in Australia they have had this happen.
I read a report on another site about a trophy that almost sank. Mine was never that bad but it could have been. Why they don,t use the screw in hatch from brand new is beyond me.
Its all good now and a great boat.
Paulj

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The screw in hatches are very good. There is a better one though. It has some locking levers on the hatch and this may make it more secure. Sorry, I don't know of the brand.