used tar to seal boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 12 ish foot alum boat that the prev. owner tared the bottom of the boat, I am getting most of it off the hull ( outside)

any one have any ideas how to remove the last little bit ?

I have been heating up a puddy knife and taking it off .. its slow going

I dont want to use this in the water and leach crap into the water ..

Thanks for any and all help in this matter ..

Rick

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: used tar to seal boat

Depends on how hard and dried out it is, try paint thinner and a coarse brush.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

use a spray brake clean....non-chlotinated...and plenty of paper shop towels..stay well ventilated as well...

maybe a heat gun and scraper??? i feel your pain, i have 20 hours cleaning 1 side of my boat between 5 layers of paint and some kind of rubber sealant applied to the outside seams.........lots left to do.............

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ya could just buy a few 3 or 4 inch wire wheels , a pair of safety glasses or a full face shield,..(the wheels shed a wire now and then...it would not be a good toy for one of your corneas...I recently had one lodge in my chin...) works like a charm...

ya could just buy a few 3 or 4 inch wire wheels , a pair of safety glasses or a full face shield,..(the wheels shed a wire now and then...it would not be a good toy for one of your corneas...I recently had one lodge in my chin...) works like a charm...

thats what i'm using.........worx good on this rubber crud.

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

I have taken a torch and a scraper and removed a lot of it .. I think I have some wd40 kicking around so I will try that ..

I think the wire wheel could eat into the alum. as now there is mostly a small film on the boat ( for the most part) I have over 1/2 done now will go back in a bit when it cools down out side again ..

Thanks to the group .. some GREAT help here ..

sorta funny I have gone from a 32 fiberform to a 12 ft alum boat with a 10hp motor .. I just cant get in an out of the big boat anymore ..

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I never tell you to use gasoline but it will very quickly dissolve tar. I used to wax cars as a teenager & that was one of our steps to get road tar off vehicles.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I dress aluminum mating surfaces with a wire wheel as part of most of my gasket involved engine repairs everyday. It is the most efficient way to remove stubborn gasket residue or paint and produce a good bond with the new gasket or o-ring.. When the area the wheel is in contact with is shiny , move along... I have never seen a wire wheel burn through any aluminum or distort a mating surface.

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

I dress aluminum mating surfaces with a wire wheel as part of most of my gasket involved engine repairs everyday. It is the most efficient way to remove stubborn gasket residue or paint and produce a good bond with the new gasket or o-ring.. When the area the wheel is in contact with is shiny , move along... I have never seen a wire wheel burn through any aluminum or distort a mating surface.

would that aluminum be thinker then the hull of a boat ? I will try it on a spot that is above the water line ...

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would NOT use a high speed grinder (too aggressive) but I would try a cup brush on a drill............ the other solution would be wait until winter and take it off frozen ;)

The cough cough gasoline idea will work ..... oh no here come the flames towards the moderator :eek: :D

73's

NYBo

Admiral

Try acetone, in a well-ventilated area while wearing a respirator.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A wirebrush on a grinder, or probably even a drill will scatter that stuff All Over everything,...

I'd keep scrappin' the scrapable stuff, then wash it down with a kerosine soaked rag...
It'll cut it nearly as well as gas, without the Flamability factor,...
Diesel will also work Just Fine...

Then wash with soap, 'n water...

Jeep Man

Commander

Some of the stuff is very flammable and requires good ventilation. So, that being said, gasoline will work best and is no more dangerous than some of the other suggestion.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea now that i think about it ,i drive a tractor trailer ,i used to pave runways etc . we would fill pump bug sprayers with diesel and spray it on the tar asphalt etc that had dried , it will emulsify it ,spray it on there and leave it on overnight . then wash it off with a hose in the morning

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

yea now that i think about it ,i drive a tractor trailer ,i used to pave runways etc . we would fill pump bug sprayers with diesel and spray it on the tar asphalt etc that had dried , it will emulsify it ,spray it on there and leave it on overnight . then wash it off with a hose in the morning

might try that .. the boat is outside so no worries there ..

lots of good ideas ... I tried PB Blaster ( did not have wd40) and that worked also going to go at the BIG stuff more tomarrow and then clean it off .. good thing it will re tar my driveway ;):eek:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

heat gun, perhaps in conjunction with a non-flamable solvent.
Varsol.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like that "tar" is really that black roofing cement. Sounds like a real mess to remove.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered why someone may coat the underside of an aluminium boat with tar?

Status
Not open for further replies.