used incorrect thru hull transducer for my deadrise

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i should have measured manually but sadly i didn't.

i have a 1996 sea ray 210 and found the original brochure that states the boat has a 15 degree deadrise.
initially i found the specs for a later year by mistake and it stated i had a 22 degree deadrise.

based on that i purchased a bronze 2 inch thru hull airmar transducer and installed it. all sealed up and wired in. was so darn proud of myself.

came across the proper brochure that stated 15 degree deadrise and felt my heart sink.

found this spec listing on the hulltruth:

If the deadrise is:
0 to 7 degrees you use a 0 tilt.
8 to 15 degrees....use the 12 degree tilt
16 thru 24 degrees use the 20 degree tilt.

so it looks like I should have got the 12 degree tilt version instead.

the boat is on a lake and probably dont see depths anywhere more than 100-150 feet, do you think i will be ok and get SOME readings or will it absolutely not work at all?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In theory your shooting 5 degree off perpendicular.

In reality, 5 degrees is nothing compared to the errors introduced by bobbing around on less than ideal conditions

At 10 ft. = 10.03 ft.
At 25 ft. = 25.1 ft
At 100 ft = 100.4 ft.

Last edited:

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In theory your shooting 5 degree off perpendicular.

In reality, 5 degrees is nothing compared to the errors introduced by bobbing around on less than ideal conditions

At 10 ft. = 10.03 ft.
At 25 ft. = 25.1 ft
At 100 ft = 100.4 ft.
thank you sir, i feel a little bit better. Just wanted to make sure all my hard work wasn't for nothing lol I dont care if its 100% accurate just that it works and shows some level of depth that is somewhat close.