Use what to patch fiberglass holes in floor

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The screws holding the fiberglass and wood floor together on my deckboat were so rusted they all came undone. I've pulled all the old screws, and screwed new ones in, and the floor is nice and tight/hard again, but now I have ~50 holes were the old screws used to be. What can I use to fill the holes? Is there anything I can use on the entire floor? Carpet will go over it, so I don't care how it looks.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Use what to patch fiberglass holes in floor

Can I patch the holes and then pour poly resin or epoxy over the entire floor? The floor is not that big, and is all fiber.

erikgreen

Captain

If the screws rusted that much, you may have wood rot too, in the under deck spaces and/or the transom.

You can cover the holes with epoxy putty (epoxy plus a filler) but you may be missing the real problem....

Erik

marineman16

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, definately check to make sure the problem stops at the screws. If you have some rotting, you can try patching as I did here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=197880&highlight=bass+boat+floor

If you only need to cover the holes, hit up an AutoZone store. They have a Bondo-brand fiberglass jelly that I've used on two boats now that works wonders! It's a little easier to work with that a resin mix. Don't forget to grab a plastic putty knife! :)

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wood itself looks fine, and the new screws pulled everything together nice and tight again, so I think I'll be ok. But with 50 holes, and 50 new screws, I'm worried my patch job might not be 100%, and so was wondering if it would make sense to use a gallon or 2 of epoxy or poly resin to cover the entire floor.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just pouring it on the floor will create other problems. You need to sand each hole to clean it up a little, if you can counter sink the holes, or taper them slightly, the epoxy putty will be able to get a better bond.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forget what its called but I use this nice stuff that is a white putty and you combine it with a catalyst (5:1) and it makes a pretty nice seal ad you can sand the non-skid into it too after its dried. (I used my Dremel with a small engraver attachment)

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm worried my patch job might not be 100%, and so was wondering if it would make sense to use a gallon or 2 of epoxy or poly resin to cover the entire floor.

if you want to reseal the floor, keep in mind the Poly resin has to be used with some type of re-enforcement, clothe or mat. Also its bond to the existing glass is only as good as your prep work. Sand to 80 grit, vacuum up dust, wipe down the entire area with Styrene instead of acetone. http://www.uscomposites.com/solvents.html

then paint on a layer of resin. Put down your mat, roll it into resin. Add more resin until the mat is totally saturated.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could drill the holes slightly larger and make sure there is no rot.

Marinetex would work nice.:)