Use a 1/2" galvanized shackle for a boat lift?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat lift has a galvanized shackle at each corner to attach the compounding pulley to the sling's D-ring. They came with the lift kit.

I want to extend the space between the pulley and sling on the front two corners and looked for some galvanized 1/2" chain and 1/2" shackles. But most of them state that they are not to be used for lifting. Is that really true and, if so, why did I get the same looking (probably made in China) shackles in my lift kit? Or is it just a liability disclaimer? Each corner needs to support and lift about 800 lbs. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
most of them state that they are not to be used for lifting

Its safety regulations OSHA, meaning all stuff that is used to lift (rigging items) must meet test specs, and their stamped/marked. Same things happen with commercial trucking, they can only use chains that are stamped.

For private use, there is no issue, or at least for me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Basically what AD stated. Its a liability limiting thing.

if you are going to be on or under your boat, get code rated (stamped) rigging

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
CYA statement for products used in commercial operations

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the 1/2" shackles I found are stamped WWL2T or have cast marking of the same. Yet most of them say "not to be used for lifting". Sounds contradictory.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just an FYI - many chinesium shackles will be copied all the way down to the stampings.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea, I think its just ridiculous that a rope package will say " load limit 1000 lbs" but do not use for lifting?

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
This might be overkill, but now I am thinking about using a safety loop of 1/4" stainless 7x19 cable looped around this whole mess on each corner just in case something ever breaks. It would go through the sling loop and over the top of the compounding pulley. I already have the materials.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ordered two shackles from a company that sells industrial lift components. Perhaps they know best. Only a few $ more. Thanks for the replies.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I ordered two shackles from a company that sells industrial lift components. Perhaps they know best. Only a few $ more. Thanks for the replies.
It all comes down to cya certification that the product was designed, manufactured and tested to an industry standard. IE. ASTM and AMSE

Certification is not a guarantee against breakage.