USCG doing checks

495v

Chief Petty Officer
I was at a local lake this past weekend to do some fishing and to my surprise, there was a US Coast Guard at the dock doing safety inspections. I passed with flying colors and sat talking with the guy. He said that today alone there was about a 50/50 pass fail scenario. It's great to see these kind of checks in place, I just wish they did it more often. To think that there are that many illegal's out on the water just ruffles my feather's! Why don't they do this more often? Anyone else ever run into this at the ramp? This was a first for me and I've been boating around these areas for years. BTW, he told me to submit my copy of the report to my insurance company for a 15% discount.

D

DJ

Re: USCG doing checks

495V,<br /><br />I appreciate their checking also. The only thing I do not like is being checked EVERY time I go out.<br /><br />I've lived in places where they gave you a seasonal sticker that showed them they've already checked you. I do not know if any agencies still do that.<br /><br />I've NEVER failed an inspection.

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Saw the USCG Auxilliary early in the season, up where I boat. They were in the boat prep area and offering to perform inspections with the owner's permission. Being as how it was my first time out this year and only second time out in this boat I did it, but I didn't see many others taking advantage of it. BTW--only a conditional pass, due to the fact I couldn't find the photocopies of my registration/insurance paperwork (old boat had a glove compartment). Of course, when I got home and tore the house apart looking for the missing paperwork it was nowhere to be seen...scratchin' my head until the next time I looked UNDER THE SEAT of the boat...duh!

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Djohns19, they did issue me a sticker for the window, so I'm good for the 2002 season. Never experienced that before. Great idea and wish they did it more often. Plus, the nice thing about the sticker is if you get stopped on the water, the patrols know you are complying with the requirements and chances are, you will not be harrassed for anything. I don't understand why they would make the check optional. Chances are, most didn't take advantage of it because they could not pass.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Coast Gurad Aux, does the inspections early in the season. It is not required but, they will put a sticker on youyr boat when you pass. here is a link to info on the inspection<br /> http://www.uscg.org/vessel.htm <br /><br />From what I understand it helps to have it if you do get stopped on the water. Its free and only takes about 15 minutes.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

They perform the inspections in Ohio also, you pass, you get your sticker plus a form to send to the insurance company for a discount. Several years back they had a Sober Skipper program. They would check your cooler and if it was alcohol free, they would put a sticker on your windshield. I opted not to since the sticker was about 8 inches wide and 10 inches tall. I suggested that a smaller sticker would be better so it wouldn't impair the visability. Good idea, but bad design. They did away with it at my local lake because the drinkers thought it was an invasion of privacy by them checking the coolers. Again those that have things to hide seem to get there way......

JEllwanger

Seaman

If you don't mind 495v, what local lake? We're not to far from each other. The only time I've had to deal with any law on the water was at the Rock River in Oregon, IL. Busting the guys taking the walleye/sauger undersized and over counted.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Jellwanger, I was out on Braidwood lake and ran into him at the north launch by the cemetary. Funny thing was that when I first seen him, the first thing that came to my mind is DNR checking for fishing licenses. I have one, but left it at home in another tackle box. So I thought, great I'm not even going to get to fish while the other guys in my boat catch everything. He did not even ask for one though, just checking safety gear and making sure all reg. numbers and hull numbers were in order. Just for your info.; great day on the water, about 6 largemouth casting rubber worms, then starting slow trolling lindy rigs with minnows and slayed the catfish. My buddies 5 year old had a blast and even caught two fish all by himself. Good times, Good times.

dug out

Cadet

:) It sounds like a few of you have discovered Vessel Safety Checks that are offered free from the USCG Auxiliary. You are correct about people not wanting them.<br /> :cool: We as USCG Auxiliary volunteer our time to assist the Coast Guard. This is one of the many things that we offer to the public. Your boat is checked to make sure it has the required minimum items for both state and federal requirements. If you meet these requirements you're given a decal for your boat. If you fail, this infomation IS NOT given to any law enforce. I perform these inspections as part of the USCGAux to help educate people and make boating safer for all. You never know, the item you're missing might be the one that saves your life! ;) We ask that you have the VSC done yearly to make boating safe and so you know that your equipment is up to date.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

495V, Illegals? Aren't the supposed to deport them? :D <br /><br />Seriously, in alot of cases like my own, my ski club requires "boat certification" annually, and the USCG has to approve them...

495v

Chief Petty Officer

TXriverrat, illegals are on the water but their swimming not boating; your from TX you should know that. :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Out here in California Coast Guard aux has been doing inspections for years and they will give you a Sticker good for the year if you pass. If you fail they will tell you what you need to pass. The sticker while not required is good in that when sherrif are checking boat for saftey equipment if you have a current sticker you will not be checked unless you are doing something unsafe. You can call local Coast Guard Aux and the will tell you when and where they are doing inspections. Also last year for the first time the US Power squadrons worked with the Coast Guard aux to do same inspections and hand out same sticker.