USA Basketball

tylerin

Commander
Never in my wildest dreams thought that Puerto Rico could hand it to our USA team :confused:

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: USA Basketball

A bunch of young guys that had virtually no practice together as a team, this is not the last thrashing they are going to recieve.

tylerin

Commander

Yeah I'm thinking even Louisvile could do better.....................naw what am I thinking :eek:

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Yeah I'm thinking even the Wildcats could do better.....................naw what am I thinking :eek:
Cardinals :confused:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

McDonalds high school all-americans might've done better.. <br /><br />I'm still not sold on the NBA boys playin' in the olympics.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Let's face it, guys. The rest of the world has learned to play basketball, and they have learned to do it by international rules.<br /><br />We did better when we used only college players.<br /><br />It's a bit like sending NFL payers out to play rugby or OZ rules. They will learn some humility.

gaugeguy

Captain

Not to mention, a few of the intenational teams have some very good NBA players playing for them also.

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I knew they were in trouble when Italy beat them before the olympics. I still think we should send the NCAA championship team to the olympics (at least they will play like a cohesive TEAM)

Carphunter

Commander

I have to disagree. The best team the USA has ever assembled was the '92 Dream Team, which only had one college player on its roster, (Christian Laettner(sp). Wasn't their winning margin an average of around 35 points. There will never be a team again like that one.<br /><br />There are many problems with this team. #1, We still didn't send the best players. Put Shaq, Kobe, Tracy Mcgrady, and Jason Kidd on this team, along with Tim Duncan, and I don't think we lose a game.<br />#2, The attitude of the NBA players isn't what it was back in '92. There were players, (Jordan, Bird, Magic, ect.), on that team, that absolutely knew what it meant to play for their country, and they refused to even let a game be close. I hope these jerks that thought it was an "inconvenience" to play for their country are happy now. ........and whats the deal with sending so many Rookies?<br /><br />By making an idiot like Iverson be a co-captain, tells ya a lot about this team.<br /><br />They will be lucky to win a medal at best.<br /><br />.......Oh yeah, The Cards would kick any of these international teams butts...........along with any of the teams you guys root for. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

The 92 team played 8 games together prior to the Olympics. Only 2 players shot below 50%, Laetner at .450 and Jordan at .451. That tells me that there was great fundamental ball being played...they actually knew how to pass the rock.<br /><br />Today's younger players have that "me, me, me" attitude that brings the game down.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awww... looks like the Pitino honeymoon is over with the Card fans.<br /><br />Wildcats will stomp them this year (though I gotta say, I secretly root for Rick occassionally during a UK/UL matchup).

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

let's face it, the NBA doesn't really enforce the<br />origional rules of the game like traveling and<br />carrying over etc. & international does...<br />MY for one is glad they r getting knocked down a<br />peg. way overdue IMO.

Carphunter

Commander

:D ...............a smile for "CoachHolland".<br /><br />How could someone with "Coach" in their name, make such foolish statements. :p <br /><br />The days of them Mildcats beatin up on them Cards are over.<br /><br />Personally, I don't care much for Pitino, but he is lightyears ahead of anyone named "Tubby". :D <br /><br />Cards by at least 10.................again. ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

agree with most ... just need to get back to basics. They have the talent ... just not the team mindset that's needed nor does the coaching seem to be aiding in this. They're playing a typical NBA type game when this has nothing to do with the league.<br /><br />sending a cohesive college team of upper class players would fit my taste better .. but who am I to say<br /><br />ditto MY ...glad to see the egos get put in check.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

How about making Pete Carroll in charge of USA basketball on a permanent basis, with off season training and allow him to choose the players to fit the style of play instead of a team dedicated to selling shoes, sport drinks, and the like?

crab bait

Captain

isn't the olympic games suppose to be for amatures..?? <br /><br />when did it all change..?? <br /><br />i kinda know somewhat/how why.. cause the USSR..right..?? but since it's now russia,, lets give it back to the non-pro's.. for ALL nations.. <br /><br />right.??