US view on UK elections

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander
It's General election day in the UK today.<br />Durring the US election we had some very good news coverage. How does the US media cover what happens over here??

eeboater

Commander
Re: US view on UK elections

I have to admit, I've been listening to talk radio all morning and haven't heard a peep. The only place I've seen anything is on Drudge.<br /><br /><br />Sean

dolluper

Captain

32 seconds in Canada [news at noon] and was cut-off by a commercial for dog food Guess the dogs rate here :D :D you know

PW2

Commander

This morning there was a little bit on it, mostly a very confused reporter trying, but not succeeding very well, in explaining the parliamentary system.<br /><br />John Stewart had a bit on it last nite, comparing Blair being grilled relentlessly to GW in front of a carefully selected, and supportive "town meeting"<br /><br />English politics tend to be nasty and up front--American politics can be just as nasty, but usually behind someone's back.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

The only coverage I've seen has been focused on the grenades in front of the comsulate.

NYMINUTE

Captain

The little I have heard or seen does not say my favoring Tony Blair, he is a stand up guy and he was there when it counted. The UK like The USA needs dependability right now, and we know the devils we have. No telling what could happen with new leaders. But it could be worse.

Link

Rear Admiral

To be honest if it weren't for "Talk Radio" I would not even have known you were having a election. But I'm sure if I turn on the tele tonight there will be some Blair Bashing. And thats about it. Our news media is so biased its not worth reading or watching. <br />Unless your part of the Hate America first group. Then you will lap up Dan Rather and the New York Times..

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Intresting coments,<br />The BBC had a live link to the US on election night, and reports every night durring the run up to it, we were probably as well informed as some Americans.<br /><br />PW2, I'm not suprised that reporter was confused, our parliment has been in existance for 400yrs, you can't expect politicians to have been able to make things simple in such a short period of time.

aspeck

Staff member

Been hearing a good bit about it, but then I am in Ghana and all the news we get is DW or BBC.<br /><br />Go Tony!

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I follow it on the bbc channel I get. I also like to watch Tony Blair when he is speaking in the house. Interesting to watch when it gets a little heated up.All the here heres and grumbles . Also watch Lord of The Glenn, Ballykissangel, two others too. One in a department store and one about The sweeter the Wine, something like that. As far as US media ,not too much.

PW2

Commander

I think it is a little indication of why the Europeans are not wildly fond of Americans generally. at least the American govt. We don't seem to care much about what happens outside of our borders, unless it directly affects, or <br />threatens, us.<br /><br />BTW, I like Blair a lot. I didn't agree with him on Iraq, but he took the heat for that decision up front like a stand up guy. And he is an impressive statesman generally.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I suppose Blair would come across as quite impressive from the other side of the pond-he certainly knows how to talk the talk.<br />I hate him. He reminds me of Pennywise the clown from IT-and about as sincere.<br /><br />I suspect that my opinions on the last US presidents are similarly clouded-after all, I don't have to live in direct contact with their everyday decisions to the same degree you guys do.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I've run into coverage on the Internet, Radio and TV.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

That's a very blinkered view DJ- considering our boys are the only other ones significantly supporting yours in Iraq. <br /><br />Like it or not, our government does impact upon your lives-not as much as yours does on ours, but it still does.

D

DJ

Nos4r2,<br /><br />Believe me, we appreciate that.<br /><br />According to the media. PM Blairs views on our support are not shared by the vast majority of people in the UK. That may be a media biased opinion, but it's the one we get.<br /><br />Probably not unlike the UK citizens view of GW Bush.<br /><br />However, it is none of my business to try and persuade UK voters on what to think when it comes to choosing their own leaders/policies. Nor is it my business to pass judgement on UK leaders.<br /><br />The UK is a soveriegn nation, not a bloody dictatorship, and considered (IMHO) a true ally and freind.<br /><br />Again, we (US, at least this US citizen) much appreciate the support.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen a good bit of coverage on yalls election but then my wife is a newschannel junkie, So I watch alot of news. I feel that this should be covered better because of the fact the US and UK are two of the staunchest allies in the world. What effects the UK will also affect the US. I am partial to your labour party for the views they espouse. But as you say I dont live there, But it is a lovely country to visit.....Love them english birds...anyway<br />Later,

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

DJ. when I posted this topic I was only asking how the US news media reported the UK elections.<br /><br />I enjoyed the BBC coverage of your elections and was interested to hear if our election process was reported in the US in the same depth.<br /><br />I did not want to get into a trans Atlantic political debate for the very reasons you posted.<br /><br />As for the support of the UK people for the forces in Iraq you will find that the vast majority of people here fully support the troops.<br /><br />Mr Blairs elaboration of the facts when addressing parliament in the run up to the war does not share the same support, this is probably what your media have picked up on.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Nos4r2,<br /><br />Believe me, we appreciate that.<br /><br />According to the media. PM Blairs views on our support are not shared by the vast majority of people in the UK. That may be a media biased opinion, but it's the one we get.<br /><br />Probably not unlike the UK citizens view of GW Bush.<br /><br />However, it is none of my business to try and persuade UK voters on what to think when it comes to choosing their own leaders/policies. Nor is it my business to pass judgement on UK leaders.<br /><br />The UK is a soveriegn nation, not a bloody dictatorship, and considered (IMHO) a true ally and freind.<br /><br />Again, we (US, at least this US citizen) much appreciate the support.
I agree<br />Very well said DJ<br />Like PW2 said (even if you dont agree with him) I think PM Blair is a stand up guy.<br />So I'm in the "Go Tony" corner. But thats my personal take. <br />Its not my place to judge or sway the vote in another country.