URGENT: water in engine bay

The Grayt 1

Seaman
We took our new boat out this afternoon and realized the drain plug was not put in (please spare us comments, we weren't the first and shouldn't be the last). The boat sat in the water for about 5 minutes and then we scrambled to pull it back out. The water level rose to just above the top of the oil pan. After it was out, we drained any water that had gotten in and were performing damage control. We found there was water on the dipstick end. So, the oil has been drained and the oil filter and spark plugs have been removed. There wasn't any apparent water in the oil and spark plugs came out dry. Now we are trying to determine what to do next.

Should we try to turn it over to determine if the starter is fried? Is it okay to turn the engine over knowing the spark plugs aren't in? Basically, what would any of you do from here?

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: URGENT: water in engine bay

Was the engine running? If not you did well so far.............just clean and dry any electrical connections...............give anything that got wet time to dry.............If the engine was running with water in the oil thats a diff horse.........then you would need to fill-run-drain several times to get all the water out..........good luck..........

The Grayt 1

Seaman

We were near a dock waiting for the remainder of the people with the engine off. When we noticed water was coming in, we turned it on and drove it back to the ramps (approx. 1 minute). This was probably the time when the water was above the oil pan. Unknown if it was operated with water in oil or this was the time when it seeped it.

As far as repeated filling and draining of oil, where is a good place to buy the oil and filter. The engine is a 4.3 OMC.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Is this salt water or fresh? Your starter is probably on a limited life expectancy.

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did your bilge pump kick on?

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

where did the water come into the boat from?

45Auto

Commander

My guess would be through the drain plug hole, since the first line of the original post is:

We took our new boat out this afternoon and realized the drain plug was not put in

The Grayt 1

Seaman

Fresh water, bilge pump is not automatic (manual switch), and through the drain plug.

chrisg00

Cadet

I'm no pro, but I have some experience with water damaged engines. If you get to it quickly, you may be okay. Pull all the plugs and drain the oil and replace the oil filter. If you can, check the oil for signs of water. If you don't see water, replace the oil filter and put in some sythetic oil.
If you have water in the oil, purchase some Marvel Mistery oil, put it into the engine with some inexpensive oil, pull the distributer, put an oil pump shaft on your drill (can be purchased at most local auto part supply stores) and run your drill slow, 800 rpm for about 5 minutes. That should wash most of the water off internal parts and give them a good lubrication. After that, drop the oil and replace oil filter. Dump some synthetic oil in. Re-install your distributor (make sure it's in the same location it was when you removed it) and start her up. If you hear internal engine noise, your too late, very doubtful it will go away.

The Grayt 1

Seaman

Does anyone know if its okay to turn the engine over without having replaced the oil? This is to check if the starter is ruined and a potential compression test.

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The starter is not ruined ...........just make sure it dries out.......if you changed the oil you are good to go...........check the oil later after running a bit ..........if its clear and not milky colored happy boating..........make sure you know all plugs and full operation of boat (owners manual).....like how the bilge works, what all gauges mean, and any warnings....... lights or buzzers..........

Don't turn the engine over or run the engine with water in the oil.............it will make it harder to get all the water out...........getting the water out in a hurry is a must .......water just sitting inside the engine will corrode, rust, and pit bearings, polished wear surfaces, etc.

If you are not sure if it has water in the oil ......change it and the filter to be safe.

This happens to atv engines alot........getting submerged in water.........it usually takes changing the oil and fiter as many as 6 times to get the water out............it needs to be done by at least the next day.

The Grayt 1

Seaman

Where is the best place to get oil filters and oil for our boat? Also what brand and weight would you recomend?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where is the best place to get oil filters and oil for our boat? Also what brand and weight would you recomend?

I don't think it really matters at this point what you put in it..what matters is draining the current oil out, putting some new stuff in and running it...re-check for water and see where you are at. If you are clear...you can buy quicksilver 25w40 marine oil at Bass Pro..or there are other brands.
photo1.jpg

Like Don S has said many times before...He's never seen an engine fail due to the type of oil used....He's been around just a little bit.;)

KCinNC

Cadet

i actually have a little sticker on the tounge of my trailor i see while hooking up...to "check the drain plug" !!!!!! i stop and walk around the back of the boat and CHECK to see if it's in ;)

The Grayt 1

Seaman

Where can we get the filter from? It is a holiday as well. Let me know thanks!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

There's nothing special "marine" about the filter. Buy one wherever you get auto parts. Your engine is just a Chevy 4.3 engine.

chrisg00

Cadet

most auto part supply stores have oil filter part # crossover books. I normally use Fram filters since Mercruiser filters are twice the cost. I just wouldn't buy a cheap, cheap filter.
As for the oil, I would dump cheap stuff in first then do an oil change after a couple hours of running and replace it with synthetic. i know there are many people out there who think differently about sythetic but a boat engine is like running a car motor up hill all day long. It takes a lot of abuse. With that said, I'd rather spend the money and put a better oil in it.