URGENT UPDATE!!! Tractor Paint Formula!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Having heard several issues with members using the Tractor Paint Formula, I called the Valspar and MAJIC paint Techs and found out the ratio has been updated. It's now a 8-4-1 ratio. 8oz paint, 4oz reducer(they recommended starting @ 2oz and going to 4 if needed) and finally 1oz hardener. My formula had it oz 1 oz of hardener per 16oz of paint. This is NOW WRONG. I sincerely regret any issues this may have caused. The good news is the tech's stated the paint would eventually cure to a hard finish but would take more time. They also stated Heat would help it cure faster soooo,, If you used the old formula get it in the SUN ASAP!!! I've request the MODS to allow me to update my thread or have them do it.

Again I'm Sorry for not staying on top of these new ratios

zool

Captain
So the only thing that changed is the hardener ratio?...its optional so I dont see a major problem with ppl using ur old formula

15-25% reduction for spraying is normal for alkyds...

keep in mind these paints are air cured, not solvent cured like auto and boat 2 part paints...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Down here, it would cure rock hard in a day with the old formula....that whole heat thing

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Beat me to my last coat of paint by 48 hours lol...

Using the old formula my hull took like 3 weeks to handle a scratch test appropriately, but I painted the top cap 48 hours ago and it handled the scratch test within 12 hours, and its about 20 degrees less warm than it was when I painted the hull.

Either which way, my stuff DID harden, so I'm happy!

Should there be any concern for overall durability?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Having heard several issues with members using the Tractor Paint Formula, I called the Valspar and MAJIC paint Techs and found out the ratio has been updated. It's now a 8-4-1 ratio. 8oz paint, 4oz reducer(they recommended starting @ 2oz and going to 4 if needed) and finally 1oz hardener. My formula had it oz 1 oz of hardener per 16oz of paint. This is NOW WRONG. I sincerely regret any issues this may have caused. The good news is the tech's stated the paint would eventually cure to a hard finish but would take more time. They also stated Heat would help it cure faster soooo,, If you used the old formula get it in the SUN ASAP!!! I've request the MODS to allow me to update my thread or have them do it.

Again I'm Sorry for not staying on top of these new ratios

Thanks for the follow up Mike! Mine is doing fine, like the hundreds before me. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Beat me to my last coat of paint by 48 hours lol...

Using the old formula my hull took like 3 weeks to handle a scratch test appropriately, but I painted the top cap 48 hours ago and it handled the scratch test within 12 hours, and its about 20 degrees less warm than it was when I painted the hull.

Either which way, my stuff DID harden, so I'm happy!

Should there be any concern for overall durability?
According to the techs and my experience and others, it will Not!! It's just a TIME thing. Durability should NOT be affected. The GREAT thing about this formula and NOT using clear coat is that it's extremely easy to do touch ups. I've done several fro bumps an bruises with a touch up gun and Artist brushes and it's a snap. Just make sure you have a record of the mixture ratio if you made a custom color. If you didn't then it will be extremely easy to touch up.

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...and the good news - the old formula gives the paint lots of time to lay-down!