Urgent Question For Rodbolt

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Urgent Question For Rodbolt

I have tried very very hard, you absolutly refuse my help.
I hope maybe Ray can help you as I am done with this thread.
I already told you how to test and fix your issue. you simply refuse.
I am done.
sorry.
ohh, and to check CDI output at 4500, simply use a test wheel or hang off the back, I have hung off the back of a few bass boats at 5400 and 70+ MPH, its a job hazard.
I aint scared.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate all you have told me Rodbolt and I am tired of the local mechanics not being able to solve the problem. I have given them every posting between us, other than the opposing thumb one. They tell me they already have 18 hours into the motor and want to discuss the final bill, even though it is not fixed. Friends advice say just run it as it is, but that doesn't satisfy me, knowing what the motor can do. I also saw an old post of yours that says if the rpm's are down that much, the engine is sick, and this could only cause it to get worse.

I am going to do the vacuum test and fuel pump tests myself in the next few days, based on what you have written. I also plan on changing the fuel pump, making sure the pump number matches what you gave me, as well as redoing the fuel line into the motor. Before I do though, I need to check the CDI.

The CDI test is a new one for me and I much prefer the test wheel idea as we live on one of the Great Lakes and don't get too many calm times to get the motor up that fast. I only hope it is a piece of equipment our local dealer carries.

Anyways, I do appreciate all the tips and like you said in another one of your old posts, it's too bad Yamaha makes such good equipment, but doesn't have enough skilled people to fix them.

By the way, which one of the pictures on the Yamaha site under master tech's is you?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I have run into the engine mounted fuel filter housing to be the problem several times in the past or I would not post about it. Very simple to verify with a simple barrel connector in place of the filter which is not needed if you are running the fuel water seperator filter in line.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At this point, I will definitely try bypassing the fuel filter Ray. Thanks for the tip. It's hard to believe that the oem equipment can cause such grief later on.

By the way, is there a lifespan on fuel/water separators? How do you know when they have to be changed?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to contact Yamaha Canada at (416) 498-1911. Explain the problem and tell them you do not mind paying for service but you do not want to pay for someone who is not familiar with your motor. Did you ever ask if the shop you are using has the correct factory shop manual for your motor? I would remove that electric fuel pump and install the correct fuel pump. What type of fuel tank are you using? What type of fuel hose assembly? Where in Ontario are you located?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bruce,

I do not know if they have the proper manual. I plan on removing the entire hose system and replacing along with the fuel pump right after I test the CDI per Rodbolt.

Can't trust the shop didn't do things in a hurry and not a methodical test procedure like explained in these postings. That's why I am going to try to do it myself.

I live in Sarnia, Ont. and London would be the next closest town with a dealer but there would be no guarantees again as I would have no idea on who is a good mechanic there.

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your in a tense situation with the dealer,they realize your labor bill alone already amounts to $1500 which is about the value of a low hour, good condition '90 115.If they do not fix it,they might have a hard time collecting $, here in the states anyway.Maybe talk to the dealer and see if he will apply the 1500 towards a new 115. I believe this is the last year yamaha is going to offer it in a 2-stroke.1500 is alot to put into a '90 outboard!This might turn out to be a win- win situation!The four stroke 115 is a sweet engine also.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the dealer locator and found quite a few dealers near you:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/dealers/...ince=ON&city=2686&group=O&subgroupB=&x=21&y=5
There are dealers in:
Chatham, Grand Bend, Erieau, La Salle, and at least five more. What are you using as a fuel tank and what are you using as a fuel line hose? Did you go to the dealer and ask to see his copy of the repair manual for your motor? Only the Yamaha factory manual will have the information that you need.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bruce, Chatham is an hour away, Grand Bend close to an hour, and Erieau and Lasalle are 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I have heard some not so nice things about Grand Bend dealer so I do not think I will have any better luck out there. As to the others, how do you know how good they are? My local dealer is a case in point.

Micel, Can't afford to go new. Besides my boat is an old rough fishing boat, a new motor would cost more than the boat and all my tackle. I am going to try to negotiate a few parts, but they can't solve my problem, I am not going to pay a whole lot in labour.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

You did not answer my question about the type of fuel tank and the type of fuel hose assembly from the fuel tank.

wwb1969

Cadet

I am by no means an outboard mechanic but i am a certified ase tech 3 years ago i had one of my buddies with a 115 merc with the same problem had it at the shop for over 2 months supposedly they had the carbs completely apart i check the volume of the pump and you could have ran a small block chevy on it.I hooked up a cannister that we use to flush fuel injector rails directly to the carbs and pressurized it from 5-10 psi essentially the same thing that you were doing with the primer bulb.ran great i took the carbs apart and while the bowls were clean sure enough there were tiny pieces of rubber i beleive in 1 main jet and by pressurizing the bowls it was forcing gas past the obstruction i would take a hard look at those carbs it cant hurt.Ultimatly it was the fuel line that was comming apart from way to much dry gas.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Urgent Question

Re: Urgent Question

New issue tied to this motor as it may be an electrical problem and not a fuel problem.
Last year I had replaced one of the coils and the boat ran great, running up to 5600 rpm. Now it only gets to 4000 rpm and then drops back to 3000 rpm.
Thinking it might be another coil, I disconnected each coil one at a time and ran boat to see what would happen.
Results: #1, #2, #4 coils all ran up to 4000 rpm and then dropped back to 3000
#3 when disconnected let the boat run up to 4000 rpm with no drop back.
I put the new coil I had bought last year (currently mounted on #1 cylinder) and moved it to the #3 cylinder. I got the same results as last time, run up to 4000 rpm with no drop. This tells me the coils should be good.

Where do I go from here? My manual says I don't have the YMIS computer on my motor, but there is a black epoxy box between the cylinders at the back of the motor that the coil wires run into. What is this? Could it be causing the problem I am having?

I would appreciate any help as I am on vacation with this poorly running boat.