Urgent! please need help

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
Hey something seems very wrong with my boat. I just got done rebuilding a 14ft tri-hull that i got as salvage. I glassed it well foam filled the entire boat hull evenly with foam. The back did not have enough depth to quite get the amount of foam that i got in the front but still on a even line. I put a good 1/2 inch resined plywood floor with 2 layers of glass. Also i rebuilt the transom with 3 1/2 inch sheets of plywood. Now here in lies the problem. I have seemed to do everything right as reading the site and other books and so on. But as we went to dock the boat for the first time i noticed when it got into the water that water would pour over the transom alot. As we drove off it was fine and ran good and hit waves good, but when we would stop thats when the water would come in. Now some might say it's the motor but it's only a 35 hp and way smaller than the 50 hp that was originally on it. So i'm lost as to what it could be. I don't know if it's just normal for it to do that or what. I can't rebuild the transom cause the outside lining of the glass only goes so far and i don't wanna mess with it. The only thing i can figure out is to add foam in the back and glass it in lol. I did notcied that when we walked to the front that it was perfect balacned. I got 2 compartments on each side of the boat dead in the middle. Could I add back of cement on each side? would that help? Any suggestions would be great, i've spent alot of green getting this done right and now i'm trippin' thanks !!!! jag :eek:

D

DJ

Re: Urgent! please need help

jagged,<br /><br />Foam will do nothing to help your situation. The foam would only come into play if the boat swamped.<br /><br />It's obvious that you have too much weight aft.<br /><br />Try moving batteries, gas cans, etc. forward.

93bronco

Ensign

can you post any pics? but who am i kidding- i cant seem to get any attached to this or other posts either.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Well the gas tank is only 6 gallons and itwasn't even full only 1 battery and it was at the front to begin with. I'm think about building the transom up on each side of the motor where it doesn;t interfere with the steering. I don't know yet i'm gonna have someone sit in the front of the boat when it's docked to see what i can do from there.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jagged does your boat have a splash well? some water coming into that is normal, water will enter the splash well on my 19 CC (deep V) if i step on the rear corner,+ alot of flat bottoms& shallow V's will back wash if you stop to quickly. as the others have said move your weight around, Really need to see what you've got? Breath slowly & and don't panic,think of any weight you may removed or added during the rebuild, good luck with it

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Yea i've got a splash well and it's not much water just some. I've never really boated that much as a captain so any imperfections after all the hard work will get a person trippin' like that. Uh, the wieght in the boat can't be a problem. All i have is the gas tank fishing poles life jackets, extinguishers and basic things that really wouldn't bare this cause. When i got this boat it was completely gutted out only the rotten runners were in it. I had to rebuild every single peice on that boat. The one i do notice it that it had a deck on the front about 3 ft by 3 ft. I couldn't seem to figure out how to get that point cut that would mold right in to the point of the boat so i didn't bother. Maybe thats why it's doing it cause the decks gone. But hey if you say it's normal when water splashes over the transom thats fine i got a good bilge pump. Thanks for the help fellas any more is surely welcomed jag