Upholstery mail in service, anyone had experience with such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmwsc

Cadet
I remember seeing a video of a guy redoing the vinyl on an atv seat. He tossed the vinyl in the dryer on high for a few minutes and it came out much more pliable and it looked 110% easier to smooth out before stapling.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, so basically the two reviews "twin skins upholstery" have online (google them in maps) say it all. Poor fit and questionable workmanship. I'm pretty handy and foam wasn't bad at all plus seats were built on HDPE instead of plywood so there was no rot in shape. I had to re-sew a lot of seams due to poor fit. Also 1 seat was so bad that i had to ship it to Florida for them to do it there and they didn't even offer to pay for shipping. Further when requested some hidem welt this scumbag charged me triple of what i see anywhere online, however when I asked him about it he adjusted to double. Basically he acts as your friend and calls you non stop to get business and then tries to stick you. Hard to do business of such nature over such distance, FL to NY. I'm sure there are alternatives and as they say - you get what you pay for in the end. My entire skins were around 1500 + some incidentals such as hidem welt and shipping. They probably do look like I paid this much for them. Would I have 100k+ boat I'd not even look his way but it was an experience that I certainly would not discount for next projects ;)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No need to pay through the nose for a boat upholstery shop. Look up in the yellow pages (that shows how old I am) --I mean Google auto sunroof and upholstery shops (they usually do both around here).. Still won't be cheap but they are local and usually do a very good job.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Putting the skins back on is a PITA, but well worth the hundreds or even thousands of dollars you can save.

I made new cockpit upholstery for my last boat (27 Four Winns) with a home machine, using the old upholstery as a template. It was long, slow work but it came out quite well.

To fit the new upholstery to the seat frames, I used push pins to make it easier to position and reposition it. When I finally got it all lined up and tight I went back with the staple gun and stainless steel staples (Lowe's sells them for $10/1000).

My .02

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Any place that does auto upholstery can do boat upholstery... they just have to order in the marine vinyl.

The extra UV and mold resistance additives in the vinyl formula is important to the covers lasting more than a year.

Actually...When I reupholstered a car I found the sewing to be pretty easy. The hard part was cutting the right shape pieces. :p ('59 Plymouth seats, headliner, door panels + re-carpet) Some of this stuff is molded and that makes it impossible to duplicate from a roll/bolt of material. You have to come up with your own smaller piece patterns then make the seams look like they belong there.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
yellow pages? they still actually print those ? ;)

Yeah, I still get one thrown on the porch every year. I wish they'd stop. It goes right out with the next recycling load. I haven't used one in something like 20 years...

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would go local. I had my whole sundeck redone for $300 in 2 color with seams and swirl using marine grade vinyl. See if you can find someone with a classic car and ask where they got there upholstery done. The guy I use does old cars and boats.
Wow, where are you located, thumpar?? I'd LOVE to find that kind of price anywhere near me! Here in Rome (north Georgia area) I've had quotes between $1500 - $3700...ugh!

thumpar

Admiral
Wow, where are you located, thumpar?? I'd LOVE to find that kind of price anywhere near me! Here in Rome (north Georgia area) I've had quotes between $1500 - $3700...ugh!
Spokane WA here. These guys are great. They did a jetski seat for me a few years back. All new foam, vinyl and strap was only $100.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
^^^Spokane, WA? Man, that's about as far away from me here in Georgia as you can get within the continental U.S.! Any chance your upholstery guys would offer mobile service, over here in Georgia? LOL!

Aaron3406

Recruit
Spokane WA here. These guys are great. They did a jetski seat for me a few years back. All new foam, vinyl and strap was only $100.
Hey I know this is a longshot based on how old this post is but I was reading this forum and saw you had upholstery work done in Spokane. What was the name of the place you had good luck with ?..Please send me a private message when you see this... Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.