Upgrading mercury outboard help!

Shaynex13

Recruit
Hello everyone, I'm shayne and I'm new here. Reading though some threads herein appears I might have found the right group to tell me if I made a mistake or not. (I'll try not to bore you and make this quick) A few months ago I mentioned I wanted a bass boat to my wife. To my surprise I came home a couple days later to a boat in the driveway. It was my birthday and my wife found a 1984 Ranger 372V in amazing condition. This boat has obviously been taken care of or rebuilt. Problem was that the previous owner decided he needed a new duck hunting boat and along the way needed the outboard from the Ranger. So then I had a really nice looking albeit a heavy row boat. Knowing almost nothing about boats I read the tag and it stated the now missing outboard was a 150. A little research and I discovered it to be a Mercury. A few weeks later after looking everywhere it seemed a friend of mine reached out and said he was having his outboard upgraded to a 200 and would be willing to sell me his Mercury 150. I purchased the engine only the to discover my 84 Ranger came with a carburetor engine and my replacement 2002 engine turned out to be fuel injected. I haven't a clue how to wire it or know if it can be done without a lot more money. I believe the original motor was an 8 pin, the new motor a 10. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Shayne

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mercury did make a few different 150s in that Era, and one was an Opti. You say there are no Merc Dealers near you, did you check Merc's website, for one?
Your "Friend" didn't mention that you were getting only the Motor, no Harness or Controls?