Upgrading boat? - Boat buying advice

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have been boating since I was 12 and back in 2019 bought a 2018 Glastron GT185 which was an amazing boat. I sold it in the fall thinking I was going to buy a house but for a few reasons that is not happening anymore. I am now wondering what to do about a boat for the summer. I am thinking I would like to go to something similar to what I had before but maybe a little better riding since I did get a lot of hull slap with my Glastron compared to my old 1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 which rode really well. I am creating this post in hopes of getting some suggestions on which boats I should look into buying. I am located in Ontario Canada and thinking I'd like to stay under 85-90k CAD pre-tax/fees. If you were in my shoes what boat would you be looking into and why?

tpenfield

Staff member
It sort of depends on what you would like for your next boat.

The Glastron was fairly light (2,400 lbs/1,100 kg) and had a 20˚ hull. For a better ride, you may want to see if you can find something in the 22' range and a 22˚ hull . . . maybe 4,000 lbs.

As far as brands to consider . . .

Cobalt, Regal, Chaparral, Sea Ray . . . maybe a few others.

briangcc

Commander
I'd include FourWinns if you're buying new....just with Merc power.

Definitely look at the boat you are considering. My family personally wrote off SeaRay - no side storage for fishing poles and my wife nearly killed the salesman with her glare when he said he could put her pole in the ski locker. They also had some goofy errors along the way - year or two ago they had snap in carpetting which covered the pull for the ski locker. Would have been very easy to cut a notch during manufacturing of the carpet but same salesman said...well most boaters don't use it. Funny thing - following year they actually had the cut out in the carpet for the ski locker pull.

I wrote off Regal because of the goofy tail lights they put on the transom. These hook into your trailer wiring harness and light up when you hit the signals/brakes. I trailer my boat so it'd be covered up, totally useless. And did I mention it simply looks goofy on the transom - this bright red thing on a white transom? No thanks.

Bayliner (ignore the naysayer pundits as they have improved quality immensely), Cobalt and Crownline may be others to consider.

**BTW: good luck finding smaller bowriders as some of these manufacturers are now starting in the 20' range. Chap dropped their 18' and 19' boats outright.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have been boating since I was 12 and back in 2019 bought a 2018 Glastron GT185 which was an amazing boat. I sold it in the fall thinking I was going to buy a house but for a few reasons that is not happening anymore. I am now wondering what to do about a boat for the summer. I am thinking I would like to go to something similar to what I had before but maybe a little better riding since I did get a lot of hull slap with my Glastron compared to my old 1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 which rode really well. I am creating this post in hopes of getting some suggestions on which boats I should look into buying. I am located in Ontario Canada and thinking I'd like to stay under 85-90k CAD pre-tax/fees. If you were in my shoes what boat would you be looking into and why?
I would think may be move up to a 20 or 21 ft BR. I have a 2004 Sea Ray 200 sport and my good friend who has an older Glastron 195 always comments how he prefers the ride of our boat. Its bigger & heavier (bigger engine and gas tank...) and has a steeper dead rise so it also has a bigger wake when you ski...

I've had two Sea Rays both bought used and the fabric has held up really well and the hull stays tight. My '91 was 25 years old when I sold it still original fabric and very presentable. I like the SPX 21 and SLX 23 , but the 23 is too deep for the end of my shallow dock...

Other options mentioned here are good as well. Look around patiently and water test on a rough day

SkaterRace

It sort of depends on what you would like for your next boat.

The Glastron was fairly light (2,400 lbs/1,100 kg) and had a 20˚ hull. For a better ride, you may want to see if you can find something in the 22' range and a 22˚ hull . . . maybe 4,000 lbs.

As far as brands to consider . . .

Cobalt, Regal, Chaparral, Sea Ray . . . maybe a few others.
Sorry thought I mentioned it, I am looking for similar boats but that ride better. Out of the ones you mentioned I have been looking at a Sea Ray SLX 190 and thinking they seem to ride a bit better though less speed for same HP which is good by me - small lakes

SkaterRace

I'd include FourWinns if you're buying new....just with Merc power.

Definitely look at the boat you are considering. My family personally wrote off SeaRay - no side storage for fishing poles and my wife nearly killed the salesman with her glare when he said he could put her pole in the ski locker. They also had some goofy errors along the way - year or two ago they had snap in carpetting which covered the pull for the ski locker. Would have been very easy to cut a notch during manufacturing of the carpet but same salesman said...well most boaters don't use it. Funny thing - following year they actually had the cut out in the carpet for the ski locker pull.

I wrote off Regal because of the goofy tail lights they put on the transom. These hook into your trailer wiring harness and light up when you hit the signals/brakes. I trailer my boat so it'd be covered up, totally useless. And did I mention it simply looks goofy on the transom - this bright red thing on a white transom? No thanks.

Bayliner (ignore the naysayer pundits as they have improved quality immensely), Cobalt and Crownline may be others to consider.

**BTW: good luck finding smaller bowriders as some of these manufacturers are now starting in the 20' range. Chap dropped their 18' and 19' boats outright.
It does seem that most boat makers are dropping the smaller sizes, probably not enough profit in them per unit to make it worth it. I have considered going up to a 21ft but thinking of where I go my 18.5ft was already a bit tight on a certain turn getting from launch to lake. For the Sea Ray did you notice anything else wrong other than the fishing pole thing? I have an old boat that I use for fishing to this new boat would be a hang out and water sports boat

SkaterRace

I would think may be move up to a 20 or 21 ft BR. I have a 2004 Sea Ray 200 sport and my good friend who has an older Glastron 195 always comments how he prefers the ride of our boat. Its bigger & heavier (bigger engine and gas tank...) and has a steeper dead rise so it also has a bigger wake when you ski...

I've had two Sea Rays both bought used and the fabric has held up really well and the hull stays tight. My '91 was 25 years old when I sold it still original fabric and very presentable. I like the SPX 21 and SLX 23 , but the 23 is too deep for the end of my shallow dock...

Other options mentioned here are good as well. Look around patiently and water test on a rough day
The SLX 23 would be great only issue is getting into the lake I go to, it is a small creek and I think I would end up with the same issue as you and your dock. As it is there was about 6-12 inches below the Glastron

briangcc

Commander
It does seem that most boat makers are dropping the smaller sizes, probably not enough profit in them per unit to make it worth it. I have considered going up to a 21ft but thinking of where I go my 18.5ft was already a bit tight on a certain turn getting from launch to lake. For the Sea Ray did you notice anything else wrong other than the fishing pole thing? I have an old boat that I use for fishing to this new boat would be a hang out and water sports boat
On the ones I looked at there were no side pockets either. That's where I store my dock lines, glasses (sun and prescription) and other essentials..so poor use of space. For what we look for in a boat, basically and SUV on the water that can cruise and fish, this is a non-starter.

Non-manufacturer specific my family has not liked the swim mats that go on the swim deck/platform. Most look very cheap and we prefer SeaDek. Some manufacturers omit pieces that have you scratching your head as to why and others look like they bought the cheapest mat possible and called it good.

Depending on availability, you might look into Campion as well. They're manufactured out of Canada.

tpenfield

Staff member
You will want to go bigger than what you had to get a better ride. A small boat is not going to be very good in the chop

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I too had a Glastron GTS185 with the Merc 4.5L. Was a great boat. I thought it handled quite well on our smaller inland lakes. The only way you're getting a better ride is get something bigger and heavier. Any boat 18.5' long and 2500# range, it will feel the chop much more than a bigger one.
I sold our GTS cause nobody wanted water sports anymore, Not like we have great summers up here in the north. So now have a dedicated fishing boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The SLX 23 would be great only issue is getting into the lake I go to, it is a small creek and I think I would end up with the same issue as you and your dock. As it is there was about 6-12 inches below the Glastron
Yeah I have 25-28" at normal water level and use a vertical bunk style aluminum lift... so when we have a drought you need a come along to get it out of the lift ....

SkaterRace

You will want to go bigger than what you had to get a better ride. A small boat is not going to be very good in the chop
How much bigger should I be going? The lakes I am on have chop from 4-18 inches though most of the time it is in the 6-12 range

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have been a boater since I was 4 years old, and have owned my own boat since 1968. So, I gotcha beat.

We have owned outboards, inboards, jets, tinnies, woodies, inboard/outboards and even a rowboat. In 2018, just after retirement we bought what was to be our forever boat and it hasn't disappointed us. It is similar to your Glastron, but has a 4-stroke outboard as opposed to the maintenance issues of an I/O. To say we are pleased would be an understatement.

Our boat of choice is a SeaRay 190XPS. We have 2 swim platforms (one each side of the OB) and the storage is literally astronomical. Our speed is awesome and our fuel usage is beyond economical.

It will certainly be the last boat we ever own. Our previous I/O served us well for 35 years, but the almost non-existent maintenance of the OB will keep us going until I enter the nursing home.

Obviously, we all have needs, wants, and the forever opinions. You asked the question and this is my response.

Attachments

• P6090873edited.JPG
    P6090873edited.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
How much bigger should I be going? The lakes I am on have chop from 4-18 inches though most of the time it is in the 6-12 range
See my previous post. Your chop is a calm day on the Niagara River, where we boat. Yeah, certainly you might bounce a little, but we don't find it uncomfortable.