Upgrade to TKS ?

John Gibbons

Recruit
I have a '92 4.3LX with a 4 barrel Webber carb. It is very hard to start when cold and still difficult to start even after running, such as when picking up a skier or changing the riders in the tube. I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the motor to a TKS system and if so what would be involved?

Thanks
John

alldodge

Staff member
The TKS is a step backwards, good system when it works but its a 2bbl and you have a 4.

You need your carb rebuilt and adjusted correctly and your good. Without more info first guess is the float is set to high or its sinking, choke needs adjusted

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe you should have water tested before buying a boat with starting problems, competitive selling area or not. :rolleyes:

It takes a new carb with TKS, which I think is a 2 barrel. TKS won't cure starting problems unless your carb needs work since the carb is replaced.

TKS is in lieu a choke and for cold starts only so possibly only half of your starting problems will be fixed. I doubt you will see any improvement in cold or warm starts unless the carb is really fouled up.

But why not find out why the boat is hard to start?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Point being, a carbed boat isn't inherently hard to start. If it is, something else is wrong.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The correct and diplomatic answer would be to get your choke sorted out. But I’m my opinion (and often critiques for it on here), just open up the choke actuator assembly and lock it in the off position. Then just pump the throttle about 10 times for a cold start and hold the rpm at 1200-1500 for 20-30 secs and then wind it back to an idle. Problem solved. Most of these GM carbs where I am have had the choke manually set to off for years now. Never had issues since.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The correct and diplomatic answer would be to get your choke sorted out. But I’m my opinion (and often critiques for it on here), just open up the choke actuator assembly and lock it in the off position. Then just pump the throttle about 10 times for a cold start and hold the rpm at 1200-1500 for 20-30 secs and then wind it back to an idle. Problem solved. Most of these GM carbs where I am have had the choke manually set to off for years now. Never had issues since.

that only helps his hot starts if the choke is stick closed... In which case he'd have more drivability problems when underway

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
that only helps his hot starts if the choke is stick closed... In which case he'd have more drivability problems when underway

That’s why I was saying you just lock it off with the choke off. It’s dead easy and trouble free afterwards.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a '92 4.3LX with a 4 barrel Webber carb. It is very hard to start when cold and still difficult to start even after running, such as when picking up a skier or changing the riders in the tube. I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the motor to a TKS system and if so what would be involved?

Thanks
John

TKS would be a serious step backwards

Describe how you start the boat when its cold and when its warm. Be detailed

Most likely its either you are doing it wrong, or your carb needs attention

Cold starting a well maintained carb:

Press the shift disconnect, and fully pump throttle twice. This sets the choke and primes the motor

Move throttle to about 30%

Turn ket to start

When motor starts, back off to 1500 RPM for about a minute

Then bring to neutral, and ease into gear and go boating

Warm starting a propperly maintained carb:

Turn key. It should be running in less than one full revolution

If your carb isnt properly maintained.....then address that issue. You may have to spend $50 and clean your carb

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yeah, that 4.3LX has a Weber 9600S carb. Notorious for dribbling after shutdown. Floods the engine a short time after shutdown, but drains the carb dry after a while, hence the poor cold starts...

The only cure is to pull the Weber and toss it in the rubbish bin and replace it with an Edlebrock 1409...

I had that carb (9600S), replaced it with a 9666. Same problem. I eventually solved it by replacing the engine with a 4.3MPI...

Chris....

alldodge

Staff member
The only cure is to pull the Weber and toss it in the rubbish bin and replace it with an Edlebrock 1409...

Now come on there not that bad, my Rinker has a weber and I've never touched it and does just fine

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Now come on there not that bad, my Rinker has a weber and I've never touched it and does just fine

The carb on your 7.4 may be a Weber, but it's not the 9600S. The carbs on 4.3s are shockers for dribbling...( Bondo any comments?)

Chris.....