Upgrade Steering On 16ft Bayliner

zheka

Cadet
Hello. I have a 1999 16' Bayliner, and steering is a workout. I've been looking to upgrading it, but I'm not sure what would be best, hydraulic or power steering.

Also the other day, I came across a video on YouTube from 8 years ago, about a system called Invisible Touch. They were able to turn their wheel with one finger at WOT. Does that system exist? Is there maybe a cheaper similar version 8 years later?

What's your recommendation?

TIA.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would start by changing your steering cable

on a 22 year old boat, its about time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Do you have an outboard or sterndrive? Is the cable greased?

Outboard steering rods bind in the tilt tube. Sterndrives bind in the tube on the steering gear in the bilge. They can both be cleaned and regreased.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Really no reason for power on that boat and motor.

Locate the issue and fix or replace that component.

seized king pin?
rusted tight tilt tube?
old broken rusted stuck cable?
helm unit?

Start by disconnecting cable from motor
Does cable move freely now?
Does motor swivel with the push of a finger or two?

zheka

Cadet
I would start by changing your steering cable

on a 22 year old boat, its about time.
Thank you. Will look into that option.

Do you have an outboard or sterndrive? Is the cable greased?

Outboard steering rods bind in the tilt tube. Sterndrives bind in the tube on the steering gear in the bilge. They can both be cleaned and regreased.
Outboard.
I haven't tried to re-grease, but will try that in the next couple days.

Really no reason for power on that boat and motor.

Locate the issue and fix or replace that component.

seized king pin?
rusted tight tilt tube?
old broken rusted stuck cable?
helm unit?

Start by disconnecting cable from motor
Does cable move freely now?
Does motor swivel with the push of a finger or two?
Thank you. Will try that in the next couple days, and see if that's any better.

zheka

Cadet
So after I disconnected the motor, the motor moves very easy, but the steering is pretty hard without the motor. It seems like when the rod goes in, about half way, it starts to steer easier all the way in, and same out, half way out it's pretty easy, then midway until it's fully out, gets harder to steer.

I watched several YouTube videos, where they slide that rod completely out, to clean it, but I think I will be harder on my boat to take that out, since it's an open space if the rod would be pushed out. It would be hitting that cutout space where the cable and wires coming out of.

Would I have to get that rod out completely to start looking into the tilt tube as my next step?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by pulling the steering cable out. then if needed pull the motor to get to the rod.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect the steering rod from the motor. Extend the rod as much as possible. Wipe it with a solvent until clean. Now grease it and turn the steering back, lock to lock, and forth several time. Now repeat the clean and grease and exercise procedure more times, until steering is light.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My 18 ft. Bayliner has power steering. A couple years ago my steering was so hard to turn I had to fight it with two hands. It was the cable. Once it was replaced, it was a world of difference. So if your cable is shot, it won't matter if it's manual or power steering.

When replacing the cable, the whole thing gets replaced... outer casing and all, not just the inner cable.

Look for a part number written on the outer casing of your existing cable. If there's no part number, you will need to measure it.

Tie a string to your old one before pulling it out. This will make it easier to pull the new one in and insure the new one follows the correct path.

zheka

Cadet
Disconnect the steering rod from the motor. Extend the rod as much as possible. Wipe it with a solvent until clean. Now grease it and turn the steering back, lock to lock, and forth several time. Now repeat the clean and grease and exercise procedure more times, until steering is light.
Tried that, didn't help a bit.

zheka

Cadet
So I started taking the steering rod out, but I'm not sure how it would come all the way out. I have the rod half way out (I think), but it won't come out any more, because the hole is higher than the rod, and the cable is already at an angle, that I don't think it can be pulled out further.

Attachments

• 20210106_220232.jpg
    20210106_220232.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 7

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The motor must be moved to port in order to remove and reinstall the cable. A common problem on small boats or boats with narrow splashwells.