Update on Jeep TJ Wrangler shimmy

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think I've finally cured it--knock on wood.<br /><br />The "Death Wobble" has been plaguing my 2000 Wrangler for months now. When you experience it, it is a real adventure. Uncontrollable oscillation of the front axle forcing you to slow down to 10 mph to get everything settled down. Real nice on I-95!<br /><br />I had the ball joints and contol arms checked several times, replaced the track arm, steering damper, swaybar links replaced and tires balanced to no avail.<br /><br />The culprit seems to have been a combination of a dragging U-joint (no grease fittings) and toe-out instead of 1/16 toe-in.<br /><br />The problem with the death wobble is that it can be caused by a variety of sources, and can be difficult to track down.<br /><br />I'm passing this on, just in case any of you need it in the future.<br /><br />The problem can occur in TJ Wranglers and Cherokees, both of which share a coil spring suspension up front.<br /><br />Thank you all for you ideas a few months ago on how to fix this problem.

jinx

Re: Update on Jeep TJ Wrangler shimmy

Rats! The wobble is still with me. <br /><br />Two independent shops and the dealer have looked at this thing and can find nothing.<br /><br />It is a stock TJ.<br /><br />I'm at a loss as to what to do. It is not safe to drive.<br /><br />To recap:<br /><br />Track bar, replaced<br />Sway bar links, replaced<br />Steering damper, replaced, twice<br />Front shocks, replaced<br />Ball joints, checked OK<br />Upper and Lower control arms, checked OK<br />Wheel bearings, checked OK<br />Steering box, OK<br />Alignment, done<br />Tire balancing, done<br /><br />Jinx

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jinx, let me ask. Does it do it at any special time?<br />Say after it has set all night and you take off down the road the next day?<br /><br />Let us know, you might be surprised at the cause.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wierd, about a month ago I saw a Jeep Cherokee doing the same death wobble on the freeway. Very dangerous.<br /><br />Just some more ideas:<br /><br />Rotate tires, there may be some hidden defects like seperated belts.<br /><br />In order for this to happen, there MUST be some play in the system somewhere, otheriwse the steering wheel would osscilate at the same rate as the wobble. Does your steering collum have a rag connector joint?<br /><br />Double check all steering components and find out where that excess play is. One point, the excess play may only be present when the wheels are on the ground, so jacking them up to check may not tell you everything.<br /><br />Ken

jinx

Great minds think alike. I just got through rotating, and rebalancing the tires. I'll see if there are any changes.<br /><br />Three shops have checked the front end for play. This included the dealer, whom I trust about as far as I can throw them. If there had been an angstrom of excess wear I'm sure they would have taken advantage of the situation!<br /><br />I'll keep you all informed, but it really has me buffaloed.<br /><br />Jinx

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by SBN:<br />jinx, let me ask. Does it do it at any special time?<br />Say after it has set all night and you take off down the road the next day?<br /><br />Let us know, you might be surprised at the cause.
You still did not answer my question jinx.

jinx

No, it does not do it at any special time, or discernable pattern. Unfortunately, it is prone to do it at the worst times!<br /><br />40 to 60 mph, usually trigger by a pavement irregularity of some type. It can occur after a hundred miles of driving during the day, so sitting overnight doesn't appear to be an issue.<br /><br />I do not think that switching the tires has helped.<br /><br />I am at a loss.... :confused: <br /><br />Thank you for your interest.

jinx

BTW, what is a rag connector joint on the column?<br /><br />Jinx

jimr

i used to drive a k3500 chevy tow truck and it would do the scare the ever living ship outta ya shake. on that truck the previous owner changed all the springs and front end parts. had it aligned but half azzed (set the toe and let it go) turned out a combination of things that were fixed with 2 wedges between the axle and springs. it changed the caster and pinion angle. if you had the dealer align it they set the toe in go find an alignment shop or off road place that knows how to do it right.

jinx

Grasping at straws here. I noticed that the shop that put the new track bar on re-used the old bolt. I'm off to get a new one, preferably in Grade 8, and see if that does anything.<br /><br />Jinx

jimr

waste of time and money. are your axle joints good? they might be set up and not just loose.that will cause a good shake. are you by chance running oversized tires ? I think you problems may have been over looked by the shops you went to.

jinx

Jim, axle joints were replaced. Your right, the bolt, though worn, was a waste. <br /><br />I had it happen again on its test drive and was actually able to see the tires shaking violently when I stuck my head out the window. Pretty awesome display! Shook to the point of breaking traction.<br /><br />The Jeep is stock, with stock tires, and just rotated and balanced.<br /><br />Here it is again:<br /><br />steering stabilizer replaced<br />sway bar links replaced<br />track bar replaced<br />alignment done, adjusted toe-in<br />U-joints replaced, front axle both sides<br />upper & lower control arms checked<br />tires rotated, and balanced<br />front suspension checked by 2 shops and the dealer<br /><br />Can the steering box be the culprit? Steering had a leak a year ago and had a failed pump. Problem started some time after that. Running out of likely components.<br /><br />Jinx

LubeDude

Admiral

I has to be tie rod ends. They may look good, but I bet they are shot. Ive seen this before, and it has mostly always been tie rod ends. Early Ford PUs were great for this, but you had to replace the entire rod. Anyway, my 2 C.

Dunaruna

Admiral

FWIW, early (1990) nissan patrols had a cronic shimmy which a factory recall fixed - beef up the steering box mount (it was flexing). It would shimmy at odd times and speeds.<br /><br />If my memory serves, wasn't their a similar problem with early broncos - once again steering box mounts cracking and therfore flexing.<br /><br />I realise you are talking about a jeep wrangler but maybe the box is the next step in the long list you have already checked.<br /><br />Aldo

jinx

The bucket of bolts is back at the shop, and lo and behold, actually started shaking for them while they were driving it.<br /><br />Further, in the process of calling around, the owner of the shop talked with one of his buds that has a Wrangler in for the same problem, and he's been scratching his head on it too.<br /><br />That Jeep had the usual suspects replaced or checked but also has had a new steering box installed. <br /><br />I'm leaving my troubles behind to go boating this weekend, and I'll let you know the latest chapter in the saga Monday.<br /><br />A real puzzler, that's for sure.<br /><br />Thanks for your interest and your thoughts, <br /><br />Jinx

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jinx, the tie rod ends are worn out.When you hit a bump or rough pavement, the toe in changes due to the compression of the front springs and body movement. This causes the toe in [and possibly the lack of enough caster ] to occilate in and out. I'm pretty sure on this, but there is a margin of error in diagnosing by computer. nevjb

jinx

The shop owner called me today. He has gone over everything and is at a loss as to what is wrong with it. It shook his mechanic up pretty good while he was on a test drive.<br /><br />I sent Jeep an e-mail today, to see if they can offer up any pearls of wisdom there, but I don't really expect much from the Ivory Tower at Daimler/Chrysler.<br /><br />Thanks for all your replies while I was gone last weekend. The croaker were biting, and the river was rough enough to make things interesting.<br /><br />Jinx

jimr

you might goto <br /> http://www.iatn.net/ <br /><br />and see if anyone there can help point you in the right direction