update on frozen 1957 johnson fd-11 with questions

gianttweety

Cadet
Thanks for everyones advice on this project so far. It took me a long time, but I finally pulled the powerhead completly apart on my stuck fd-11. It looks clean inside except one (upper) piston is still stuck in the cylinder even though the cylinder looks beautiful. I think it is just carbon deposits on the rings of the piston. I sprayed some PB blaster on it from the inside so hopefully I can get it unstuck. Any advice if this doesnt work?
The rods and needle bearings look fine. It will take a miracle for me to be able to reassemble the thing though. Can someone take a look at the pics and tell me if the coils have been replaced already? They look pretty good to me.
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-2 (2).jpg
    photo-2 (2).jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
  • armature.jpg
    armature.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
  • cylinder 2.jpg
    cylinder 2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: update on frozen 1957 johnson fd-11 with questions

Yes, it looks like your coils are good to go. Points and condensers also appear to be newer style (rubber caps on the condensers).

If you can, pull the crankshaft out. Then you can press the stuck piston out with a bench press. I've had good luck using a hardwood dowel so I don't mar the rod bearing surface. Support the block well, with an opening so that the piston can exit as it is pressed out. Then you can remove the rings, clean any carbon out of the grooves, etc. Also a good time to lightly hone the cylinder walls...

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Every new coil I've seen are lite green in color. As long as they don't have any cracks in them they should be good.

lindy46

Captain

Looks like that magneto needs a good cleaning. Lots of crud/oil? on the cam - maybe someone over-lubed it last time they had it apart. Clean the points real good.

jbjennings

Captain

Just wanted to say that I saw your original thread on this motor asking advice. Glad to see you pulled it apart. You'll need some hex head socket drives most likely to put on your torque wrench to tighten the rod bolts. They are cheap at harbor freight and worked for me. The block will go back easily--no worries. I'd be patient on the piston because you don't want to scratch the cylinder removing it.
Well done on the tear-down.
JBJ

gianttweety

Cadet

The piston seems hopelessly stuck. I resorted to putting a block of wood on it and hammering the heck out of it and it did not budge. I put a wood dowel on the inside and hammered it from that side as well. I am about ready to scrap it. If anybody lives near atlanta and wants it I am about ready to give it away.

gianttweety

Cadet

Before I scrap it, would hitting it with a propane torch help? If so, what kind of cheap torch could I buy and how would I do it.
Thanks

nwcove

Admiral

send the wife to bingo.....put the block in the oven at 350 for an hour, open the windows. get the oven mitts out and remove it! put a couple of ice cubes in the hollow end of the piston, carefull of the steam and hot water, then give it a whack. (be carefull of hot water splashing!)

gianttweety

Cadet

Interesting, I may just give it a try. It is covered in PB blaster right now though. Hopefully I didn't cause too much damage hammering it, but I did use a wood block and had the engine block sitting on wood.

nwcove

Admiral

heat and cold can do some amazing things, ive put bearings on crankshafts, that supposedly needed to be pressed on, just by getting the bearing hot, and cooling the crank (overnight...in the freezer).....they slid right on, no problem.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I had the same problem on my '56 E15 that I was tearing apart. One piston was jammed. I tried everything and also hammering it with wood also and no luck. What I did was go buy a gallon of kerosene and fill a bucket and soaked the entire block in it for a few days and then I still had to hammer it hard with the wood, but it came out. So don't give up!

gianttweety

Cadet

With nwcove's advice I was able to free up the piston! Now the real trouble starts I'm afraid. How do I get the rings unstuck? Also, how do I clean up that cylinder that has a tiny amount of corrosion on it? Where can I get a powerhead rebuild kit with all the gaskets? I was thinking of soaking the block and pistons in kerosene. Thanks again.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Cylinders can be cleaned up with a $20 flex hone. If you can find a Sunnen straight hone to borrow, even better.

No such thing as a rebuilt kit. You'll have to improvise. Make your own gaskets - a hole punch and good, sharp fine sewing scissors work great! Just don't use your wife's! Might be able to find piston rings here and there online. Some marinas may have some NOS ones in a dusty drawer. Showing up at coffee time with a box of good donuts is a good way to get in their good graces and they might actually look for the 50 year old parts.

Might be able to find parts through AOMCI.org site, too. Lots of those 18s out there so it's very likely someone has a junker with a good piston in it. I probably have one somewhere, but I'd have to look.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a link to the parts breakdown for Your motor;

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377021/37702100001.htm

Find Your part numbers before You go to the dealer and they might be a little easer to work with.
I've bought parts from Dan Gano for My FD11. He's a good Guy to deal with and he has a lot of NOS [new old stock] parts.

http://www.ganotech.com/

I hope You enjoy Your motor as much as I do.
Good Luck
Steve A W