Update: Finally Bought It. One more time (hopefully) - Which Boat to Buy?

crqflier

Seaman
So I finally made a decision on buying a boat last weekend. Went with check in-hand to take the sea trial and finish the transaction. Well, after hooking up the trailer ready to head to the lake, the owner's wife comes out an announces while crying that she doesn't want to sell. Agh!!! That was an excellent condition 2005 Monterey 214 FS with a VP 5.0GXi/SX.

Now I've got my choice narrowed down to two fairly different boats.

• 2004 Chaparral 220. VP 5.7Gi/SX. 70 hours. ~24' LOA with the extended platform. $20K.
  • 2006 Regal 1900. VP 4.3GXi/SX 75 hours. ~20' LOA with the extended platform. $15K

Both are 1 owner. All regular maintenance and records, docs, etc. Both in great shape (except a scrape on the keel of the Chap). Some of the options are a bit different, but for the most part equally equiped.

Primary use will be wife and two young kids boating at 6500' elevation on a small, 7 mile long by 1 mile wide lake.

Having never owned a boat, the net concern I've got is this: is the Chap too big for a first boat vs. would we find the Regal too small after having it for a year? I generally buy and hold stuff for years - like cars, etc. Any/all comments would be great.

yetiman

Seaman
Re: One more time (hopefully) - Which Boat to Buy?

We went with the larger boat, 20.7' compared to the 19' that we almost bought and we couldn't be happier. Having the comfort of the larger boat was the right decision for us, good luck with your purchase

oldjeep

Admiral

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to ski behind it then get the Regal, if you are just going to tube/wakeboard or just cruise then I'd consider the Chaparral - but 5K is a lot of cash for 3 feet.

crqflier

Seaman

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to ski behind it then get the Regal, if you are just going to tube/wakeboard or just cruise then I'd consider the Chaparral - but 5K is a lot of cash for 3 feet.

Skiing and boarding eventually - maybe. Tubing first. Kids are 5 and 10. Why the distinction for the Regal about skiing? Is the Chap too big or slow out of the hole for skiing? Seems like the Regal has a really cool technology with the stepped hull while the Chap is more conventional.

oldjeep

Admiral

Skiing and boarding eventually - maybe. Tubing first. Kids are 5 and 10. Why the distinction for the Regal about skiing? Is the Chap too big or slow out of the hole for skiing? Seems like the Regal has a really cool technology with the stepped hull while the Chap is more conventional.

Because skiing behind a 22ft boat - unless its a ski boat really sucks. The wake is not good for any real skiing

hawkrdr

Cadet

Go bigger. I started with a 19' bowrider 3 years ago.. Knew it was going to be small, but we lived on a 25 acre lake at the time and it was fine for around there. Soon as you load up your gear and family that 19 foot boat is going to feel pretty cramped.. Plus kids grow.. they take up alot more room...

5k for 3 feet and a much better built boat IMHO. Can't go wrong with a chaparral.

southkogs

Staff member

Personally, I'm a "smaller" boat guy on inland lakes. I've never had anything bigger than an 18' and that's always been fine for my family of 5, + dogs. Assuming a cruise speed of 40 MPH, any boat covers a 7 mile lake in about 10 min or so - so the body of water is probably not as big as it feels when you're standing on shore. The 24' is not going to turn as easily or in as short a space as the 20' and you could run the risk of running out of space a little more quickly. IMHO - the Chap sounds a little big for the water you're going to be on.

I've never launched anything bigger than a 20' - but I have occasionally watched 22' - 26' boats launched at the ramp where the boater forgot how heavy the boat would be when it slid off the trailer (watched one guy get dragged a couple of feet into the drink and have to scramble up his swim platform). Bigger boats react differently in the wind - not too big a deal when you're running them, but when you're standing on the pier and trying to horse that beast to where you want to tie it down it can get a mind of it's own. How much more fuel will the 24' drink? Does it need deeper water to run in than the 20' (and on your lake does that matter - it wouldn't here in TN)? Will you use it enough to justify the additional costs?

I usually suggest to new boaters on inland lakes something between 16' and 20' mainly because they're pretty easy to deal with all around, and they'll take most water conditions without too much trouble. I can't see a family of 4 running out of room too fast on 20' - but if you're wanting to take a bunch of friends too, you may need some more space. My 18' is rated for 8 people - my family +3.

Now that my "smaller boat bias" has plopped out there: Which boat feels more comfortable? And which seems to accomplish what you think you'll be doing on a typical day on the lake? The two boats are fairly comparable for quality - so the "I like it" factor can play a big role.

crqflier

Seaman

Thanks for the comments. The lake has a 26' limit on boat size and a 30 MPH speed limit. It consistently gets about 1' chop from wind starting around noon. I've rented 22' pontoons and 17' outboard bowriders on the lake. I was wondering to a degree whether the boat might be too big for the lake as well. There are definitely bigger/faster boats out there, but the majority by far are just pontoons cruising around. I think the Regal would fit us perfectly right now for the vast majority of how we'd use and it seems more "fun". It would likely be less costly to keep/maintain/fuel/store. But the Chap just has a ton more space - seating, storage, dining and seems more stable. It's like a completely different league even though it's only a few feet longer (and basically the same width).

emoney

Commander

I think you're going to need to spend some serious time on both boats. As a matter of fact, I'd take the whole family on the sea trials and do a "mock" outing. You'll know kinda quick if one is too small, (not sure there's anything ever "too big", lol). Is this a very first boat, first boat?

crqflier

Seaman

First boat for us of any kind though we've done a fair amount of boating and used to sail quite a bit - all rentals or lesson boats. We can't "real world" sea trial because neither boat is near the lake we'd keep it at in the mountains. Wife's vote is for the Chap because of the smoother ride and, of all things, the dining table and L-shaped seating. I'd probably have more fun myself with the Regal. But it's a family boat, not a personal boat. In a few years once the kids are bigger and wanting to bring friends almost for sure the Chap would be the right call.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the lakes and rivers i am in are bigger then yours so i cant answer to that, but i had a 21' cuddy with a 4 cylinder and last year i bought a 22' aft cabin(24loa) with a 6 cylinder, and man what a difference. tons more power and more room in sleeping area,bigger head and more deck. wish i had bought it a couple years a go. went for the smaller one to start out, should of just took the plunge in the first place:facepalm:. as for fuel they cost about the same 25 in the littler on and 30 in the bigger one and the price of gas was higher last year as to the year before.found that the 4 cylinder struggled in rougher water were the 6 has no problem so in my opinion i would go the bigger, i go tubing with it and spend the night on it.(can never have enough boat, think it called two foot ittest):)

crqflier

Seaman

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to check them both out again this weekend.

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Happy Wife.......Happy Life.....

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am biased but based on what you have said, I would get the bigger boat, no question. As your kids get older they will want to bring friends, and when you pack 4 kids and two adults on a 19 foot boat, it can get crowded quick. You can buy the smaller boat now but in 2-3 years you will be out shopping for something bigger, that is what I ended up doing. Besides Chaparral makes one heck of a boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You've received some good advice. You couldn't go wrong with either, but the Chapparel is probably a higher quality boat. I've not got any comment on price, as I've not been in the I/O market for a long time. (My pontoon boat is kept in a boathouse out of the water.)

My question is are you setup to tow such a large boat at very high altitudes?

I wouldn't be asking this if you've got a Duramax or Powerstroke Diesel on a 3/4 ton. If you're going to be pulling with a standard 1/2 ton truck, your ability to pull such a large boat may be marginal. 6500' elevation sucks the horsepower out of every non-turbo vehicle.

Your tow vehicle is something to consider.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rent a similar boat for a day and use it as you plan on using the one you want to buy, it's about what makes you and your family happy, nobody else.

crqflier

Seaman

Heading out right now to go look at both boats again. I've got an '07 Suburban LTZ 4x4. Not the most powerful, but then again, the road is a slow one so I'm not too worried. We use it to haul a fairly large horse trailer with no problems - though we haven't done it going up the mountain. Keeping an open mind one more time today, but will likely end up with the Chap. Owner isn't married, so hopefully I would get smoked again.

LibertyBoat

Cadet

Heading out right now to go look at both boats again. I've got an '07 Suburban LTZ 4x4. Not the most powerful, but then again, the road is a slow one so I'm not too worried. We use it to haul a fairly large horse trailer with no problems - though we haven't done it going up the mountain. Keeping an open mind one more time today, but will likely end up with the Chap. Owner isn't married, so hopefully I would get smoked again.

As a Chaparral owner (purchased new cruiser, over 30', this past winter), I would buy the Regal. In my opinion, the fit & finish of the Regal is superior to the Chaparral. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Regal. The Chap we own has been a continuous set of problems, and has interrupted our lake enjoyment every weekend since launching in April. Good luck.

zip34788

Seaman

I guess if you are the President of Exxon you wouldn't be looking ar either of these boats. At almost $4.00 a gallon for fuel, I would be inclined to go with the Regal. From a lot of respects the Regal in my estimation looks like a better economic value. Remember this is a toy and not an investment.