Unusual water outlet on 1967 9? Johnson?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I finally got around to fogging my newly acquired 1967 Johnson 9? MQ-13. I ran some fresh gas/oil mix probably closer to 40:1. It started right up in my bucket but I feel that it ran a little rough (I didn?t even change the plugs).

My question is: is it normal for water to appear out from beneath the base of the shroud around the midsection, running onto the flange where the midsection & gearcase meet?

See diagram

67 9? midsection.jpg

Rick.

Captain
Re: Unusual water outlet on 1967 9? Johnson?

Totally normal, part of the design. Enjoy your engine. You've got an admirable collection there and a very truthful caption below the list. Best of luck. Rick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In case you want a second opinion, I agree. It is normal

Attachments

• 9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

Rick.

Captain

Good job F_R ! That was the picture I had in mind but had no idea where I had seen it. Rick.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ooooooh let me tell you....those motors are fun to work on.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Ooooooh let me tell you....those motors are fun to work on.
Yup, I'm going to replace the waterpump and check everything out and reseal. The joys of pulling EVERYTHING apart. Hopefully the bellow is in good shape. It is supposedly a low hours motor and looking under the cowl I believe it. Nothing has been butchered and it is pretty clean. The exterior has the usual abrasions. I bought it from an older gentleman who enherited it from his original owner father in 2004, having run twice since. I ran it for 15 minutes and found no hot spots anywhere. Water pumped, exhaust cover was comfortably warm and it was the same everywhere. The front control panel is mint with all painted symbols perfect. It needs paint & decals due to rubs, but it appears to be a great repaint candidate after full service & inspection. I am currently going through the 1967 Parts Manual and comparing it to the online BRP manual that starts in 1968. I have seen fuel pump differences, plus a pin for the intake manifold gasket so far, Gearcase housing & seals differ as well. I should get shopping while stuff is still available for it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, doing the re-seal on the lower is one of the easier jobs. Just unbolt the lower unit 4 places let it drop and get the shift rod. Very simple. It sounds like you got a dandy of a motor there. It's not likely you'll have to do anything to it for a very long time, so that's the good part. That is one motor you can re-kit the carb, without removing it. LOL The top comes right off in plain site.
I actually had a dealership pay me to work on a couple of those once, because their guys didn't want to mess with them. I pulled them both all down and replaced some mounts in them and the lower boot. This is one of the common issues with these from what I gather. These are good little motors though and it looks like you have a definate keeper there.