Unrealistic Expectations

eeboater

Commander
Is it just me, or are there unrealistic expectations being set for the timelines? And, does anyone agree that the unrealistic timelines are being set by the news media, which is spurring the ideas through the people who are stranded there? <br /><br />Seriously, I cannot watch the news channels anymore. And it isn't because of the horrible destruction I am seeing. I can stand that. From what I am gathering, the Mayor is kind of a Dolt, but ok whatever. <br /><br />I was watching the news and they were interviewing someone from the Superdome. She was talking about how horrible the conditions were in there. The interviewer asked if they had food to eat. To paraphrase she said <br /><br />"Well, we had the military food, which was cold, it was horrible to eat, always cold food. And all they did was give us water... water water water..."<br /><br />WTF?! Did she want catering with Caviar? I saw another interview where someone was asking "Why aren't there concerned citizens lining up in caravans coming down to get us out of here." Why isn't anyone telling them that we're not allowed to drive in there?!<br /><br />I know they are in a HORRIBLE situation. I wish them the speediest recovery possible. But just because we are the greatest country in the world, doesn't mean that we can do the impossible.<br /><br />We can't move millions of people in a couple hours...<br /><br />Ok, now I'm done complaining. Sorry - had to get that off my chest. It's official, I'm no longer watching television news channels.<br /><br />Sean

brother chris

Commander
Re: Unrealistic Expectations

Every time I see the news about the aftermath, I get sick to think about what has happened to all these people. <br />Hopefully, there will be help soon for these people. <br />There are alot of unrealistice expectations of the government, and you are right EE, the timelines are being set by the media. <br />This is going to go on for months, hopefully these people will be able to get the help they need, SOON!<br />I wish there was more that could be done for them.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

We'll keep you up to date from time to time on what's happening. What's your poison from now on? Cartoons, soaps, or sit-com reruns?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

EE... Don't fret none.... For everyone like those who complain about the conditions, cold food, and water-water-water, there's 100 who think that cold food and water-water-water tastes pretty damn good!.... ;) Especially those who've gone without either for a few days....

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> We'll keep you up to date from time to time on what's happening. What's your poison from now on? Cartoons, soaps, or sit-com reruns?
I... can't... tell if you're joking or not.<br /><br /><br />Snapper and Brother -- you're right. I'm sure there are lots of grateful people. It's just the squeaky wheel syndrome.<br /><br />Sean

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Just kidding. If it weren't for news channels, the weather channel, football games, and the occasional nightime police drama, I'd throw the TV in the backyard and be done with it. Oh yea, and MTV.

Ralph 123

Captain

I have come to the realization that part of this may be due to the fact that hardly anyone in America makes things for a living any more. Because of that, they have no idea what it takes to do something real and tangible. So they expect magic. The media are professional critics who have never done anything REAL in their whole pathetic lives. All they do is flap their gums and complain.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I have come to the realization that part of this may be due to the fact that hardly anyone in America makes things for a living any more. Because of that, they have no idea what it takes to do something real and tangible. So they expect magic.
Ralph.. You hit the nail square on the head...

eeboater

Commander

I agree with snapper. That is very precise Ralph.<br /><br />Everyone expects Magic and a "movie theater ending"<br /><br />There are no superheros who can swoop in and save the day. It takes time, patience, and a lot of perseverence. <br /><br />I wouldn't wish what these people are going through on anyone. BUT, at the same time they cannot expect the impossible.<br /><br />Sean

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

EE,<br /><br />I havn't watched a minute of TV covarage on the NO story.<br /><br />I go to the net and read.<br />Also,<br /><br />Rush has been great describing all the facts including his expert comentary about the racial portion and about the fuel implications. I can listen to him and work and between the two, usually get all the info I want. <br /><br />Gave up on the other news outlets long ago. How about the looping news reel, seeing the same tape over and over, like were idiots and need to see it one more time.<br /><br />Rather watch the US open. All those folks down there wouldn't want anything from me 'cept what I will donate to the cause.<br /><br />Spud

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

eeboater, I don't think you really want 'em to sugar-coat it, now, do you?<br /><br />Okay and besides which, ever seen one of those interviews filmed? They talk for a while, then cut out the sound bites. Meaning, its possible she said "we are so happy to be alive, thank you all very much for the food" eighteen times.<br /><br />And what's more, they in really really bad shape down there, let 'em complain a little bit. I've complained louder about less.<br /><br />If the food tastes bad, it tastes bad. And sure, if you been without water for days then any water tastes great but they been up to their armpits in it. Remember, these are the people that invented the corner "frozen-alcoholic-beverages-to-go" shop. Nothing but water for days...imagine...the situation generally sucks, how long until you start to feel a little like complaining? And then, finally, somebody wearing clean clothes and deoderant asks you what it's been like.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

In fact I just read on Drudge that big bad (Looted) Walmart just donated 15 Million to the cause.<br /><br />What would Chris Matthews say about that?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

did it say $15 million cash? or inventory in stores that were flooded and/or looted?

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater, I thought the same thing. I couldn't believe it really. jtexas, it was a video on Bill Oreilly's show, you could see her actually saying it. You are right, most I'm sure are grateful, but the media likes to show the worst anyhow. It's feels so weird to me, I see that video of the Bridge and think to myself "I was on that bridge not long ago." Anyway, keep the people of New Orleans in your prayers and God Bless America.<br /><br />James

Skinnywater

Commander

I have come to the realization that part of this may be due to the fact that hardly anyone in America makes things for a living any more. Because of that, they have no idea what it takes to do something real and tangible. So they expect magic.
Then again.........to the ones that still do make things for a living realize time is of the essence. And it only takes minimal planning to drop-ship food and water on every high point on the road out of town.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

The story did not specify, it did say they had already given 2 mil in cash before this annonced commitment. Also stated that they would establish mini wal marts (now that scares me) and give out needed products to those in distress. Also described how they intend to help they distressed employees.

Pony

Rear Admiral

i saw a bit of press conference today i think it was on cnn where the reporter first asked why it took 3 days for federal aid, which made sense a little, but the next comment was what got me......the person being interviewed rattled off a list of supplies that they have been gathering and getting down there, like 10,000 tarps some millions of pounds of ice and drinking water. the reporter than asked "what good does that do people who have been living on overpasses for the last 48 hours?" <br /><br />The first thought that came to me was what do these people expect?? Its not like we deal with this sort of ordeal everyday and have it down to a science. fact is we dont know how long it will take to do much of anything down there. the next thought was, why didnt these people evacuate when the government told them to?? I know not everyone can do so but still, no matter what we want to think we can only do so much at any given point....sometimes it feels like no matter what is done it will never be enough for some people. not that i wish we couldnt do more, obviously i do...

ebbtide176

Commander

skinny i hear ya. it seems that would be our plan. i don't know, but now everyone is saying its all FEMA's fault and they don't have a plan. so i guess someone gets blamed for not having all their ducks in a row on the urgent help needed. i won't say how i feel exactly about that- since i guess i semi-agreed on the stress i live thru at work. <br /><br />but here's something i got off the press/web:<br />
<br />NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday as corpses lay abandoned in street medians, fights and fires broke out, cops turned in their badges and the governor declared war on looters who have made the city a menacing landscape of disorder and fear. <br /><br />"They have M-16s and they're locked and loaded," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said of 300 National Guard troops who landed in New Orleans fresh from duty in Iraq. "These troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so, and I expect they will."
now that is surprising to me. that gov must have her hand on some brass balls :D dam how refreshing to hear something like that off the MSM. i bet there are already board meetings on it at the ACLU

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Watched an interview this evening with the police chief of NO; he blamed everyone he could think of ... except himself, seeing as HIS department obviously has no plans beyond how to handle marti-gras drunks; except the city, which obviously had no disaster plan worth anything; except the state, which had a plan that was woefully inadequate.<br /><br />NO was in OK shape (reletively speaking) until the pumps failed and the dikes broke. If there's blame to be laid, find the guy(s) who bought off on dikes that were only rated to Cat 3, the guy(s) who couldn't figure out the power grid will probably fail in most any hurricane, the guy(s) who decided it was OK to protect the city with pumps that couldn't keep up with rain over 2" per hour, the guy(s) who didn't understand the city drowns if the pumps fail - which many did even before the dikes broke! I know lynching is illegal, but it sure has a time and place. :eek:

Pony

Rear Admiral

posted by old curmudrgeon:<br />NO was in OK shape (reletively speaking) until the pumps failed and the dikes broke. If there's blame to be laid, find the guy(s) who bought off on dikes that were only rated to Cat 3, the guy(s) who couldn't figure out the power grid will probably fail in most any hurricane, the guy(s) who decided it was OK to protect the city with pumps that couldn't keep up with rain over 2" per hour, the guy(s) who didn't understand the city drowns if the pumps fail
Yup that city is essential a big bowl.....gonna take a long time to get that water out of it