Under-powered?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Under-powered?

PTT also allows you to go over shallow areas. A must for my type of fishing!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br />we used to rent that same boat from the navy base. with a 25 it bites. a canoe would pass us and we were only 3 buddies with a cooler.<br /> that 25 is nice but the 40 or bigger with trim is wonderful.<br /> you can buy an aftermarket trim for 500 or so.<br /> good luck and keep posting

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yo Canuck,<br />Don't underpower that thing. Save up until you can afford the max HP boat is rated for. I'm in the process of spending my way out of the same mistake. Bought a new 16' welded Aluminum Deep-V (about 1000lbs. & rated for 90HP) with a 40 on the back. What a fiasco. With two people and the livewells empty it was a HUGE struggle to get it up on plane. <br /><br />That was before I found Iboats. These guys would've saved me from myself. Next month a 90HP Merc Classic will be back there. If you can't afford the big motor up front, you certainly won't be able to afford it after throwing money away on one that's too small. <br /><br />Like you, I try to be careful with my money....but that 40 had to go. It was embarrassing.<br />Bob

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

Well, I'd say that was a resounding response. Last summer, I used this same boat (in a 2003 model) with a 40 and loved it. In my miserly spending ways, I was hoping the 25 would do us, but I think the advice given here has confirmed what I already suspected. Thanks so much for, as was mentioned earlier, saving me from myself! By the way, is the dealer being dishonest in telling me the 40 only comes with the PT? I'm not down with this whole thing if he's going to start lying to me now...

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Canuck,<br />I have no idea what Merc's Canadian guidelines are or what the dealer's are, but the website says that power trim is an option. <br />Classic 40 <br /><br />I don't know about PTT costing another grand, but it really would be a desireable feature. You'll have that boat a long time.... My old boat might not be worth upgrading with that right now since we're kind of strapped for the moment. But if I was getting a new boat I think I'd wait until I could get it with. At least look into aftermarket ones for comparison. Maybe it could come later if you're really smitten? Maybe you go to the dealer with a brochure for an aftermarket one and he might be willing to haggle a little more? <br />tilt kit This one right here on this website is only about $500.<br /> Or see if the dealer has any slightly older new motors?

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

I've looked into this a bit more, and my wife and I have decided to go ahead with the 40 ELPTO. Nice looking unit, and I think we'll be happy with the extra HP. Turns out we got a lower interest rate on the financing, and it only ended up costing us $200 more than the original price at a higher interest rate- a no brainer. Sweet when they work out like that! Thanks again for all your input- it certainly helped alot.

D

DJ

Canuck25,<br /><br />Keep us posted. Congrat's on the new rig.