Un-Winterizing a Boating

borourke

Seaman
Re: Un-Winterizing a Boating

Unfortunately I never did get much boating in Rochester done. I went to college at Brockport and never had the money to own a boat while I lived there. It was rough because I grew up on Long Island and boated all my life. Now I am land locked in Ohio and only get to tool around on a small 10 mile long lake called Alum Creek, unless we make the drive up to Erie, which we try to do 3 or 4 times a year. Goes to show you don't know what you have until it is missing. Fairport was very nice, but my job took me to Ohio. Now I can afford the boat, but dont have any water!!! :rolleyes: Oh well. Thanks for the info about the electric blanket, Maybe worth a shot come April. What king of engine are you covering up on those chilly nights?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Already said but worth repeating. A head bolt heater will only heat that area. There is still water in the drive, water pump(s), exhaust mans and the other side of the block if you only get one head bolt heater.

borourke

Seaman

Thanks f_inscreenname! I am going to be looking at this very closely. I only plan on doing this in April and November. We usually do not see a hard freeze during these months, and there are usually a few good 70 degree days that I do not want to miss. Apreciate all the feedback.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I wish there was a permanent solution short of building a heated garage (one day I will but my house now doesn't have enough land). There are plenty of days over the winter I would take a ride. One is during the boat Christmas parade. I think my red and white boat would make a great “Santa’s slay”. I guess the hardest part would be to get 10 jet skiers to act as reindeer in 35* water.