Un-Winterizing a Boating

borourke

Seaman
OK spring fever is already starting to hit and it is only going to get worse in the next 2 months. My boat is currently winterized and the block filled with antifreeze. I an normally one of the first people to go out in the season, and there is always a few days where tempatures go back below freezing. When this happens I have always out a halogen light in my engine compartment to keep the tempature of the block above freezing. Questions has anyone else ever done this? Is there any risk with doing this? Are there any better options out there that others may have tried?<br /><br />Thanks - Brian

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Un-Winterizing a Boating

I would guess we are in the same climate and have similar weather patterns. Here in PA we don't see ice out until at least mid March. So between now and then at least there "aint no boats goin in the water" Even for early season boating, courtesy docks are not always in the water and make launching a bit more difficult.<br /><br />If you have bad "Cabin Fever" now is a good time to go all over your trailer and make sure everything is in operative order. Lights, brakes, tires, etc. Nothing could be worse than having to sit home on a nice Sunday afternoon when all the marine dealers are closed just because you can't get your boat to the water.<br /><br />My two pennies.<br />Kevin

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude;you are going to be caught in a badddd february freeze and then you will really be sorry.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have read a lot of thoughts on this on this board.<br /><br />You want to make very sure you have nothing that could cause a spark. People talk of using automatic heaters. But you don't want it switching on and off with gas fumes in the engine compartment.<br /><br />With a halogen you need to worry about hot spots. A halogen lamp can get very hot. What if it touches something?<br /><br />You need to worry about the bulb burning out. Hate to have a frost damage because the bulb blew out overnight.<br /><br />Sorry to be negative, but if you are going to go this route you need to think about all these things.<br /><br />Now for a thought that might help. What about those heaters you wrap around a pipe to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter? Some low power, always on when you plug it in, gentle heat.<br /><br />Or maybe a dipstick heater? Something to just raise the engine temperature enough to keep it from freezing.<br /><br />I wish you luck.<br /><br />batavier - see you are from Pittsburgh where I grew up. I know what you mean about those lat freezes. Everything looks good, you get cabin fever, start spring prep, and along comes a bad freeze. Good warning.

llfish

Go to NAPA and see if the have a head bolt heater that will fit your motor. Install it plug it in and relax when it freezes. Do not get on that fits in the dip stick hole. This one replaces one of your head bolts and will keep everything toasty warm.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have my curiosity. Never heard of a head heater. A search of NAPA's web site only returns magnetic heater pads, dipstick heaters, freeze plug heaters, but no head bolt heater.<br /><br />Do you have a part # or any other info. Just curiosity

cuzner

Don't know what engine you running,I used to pull out the drain plugs in the block, and crank the engine a few times to get most of the water out when I took my boat out in late March, as a precaution. It was a 3l merc., and easy to get at... never had a problem. I now have a sundancer,and getting my but down in the engine compartment more than 2 times a year will keep me off the water til April.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

f_inscreenname

Commander

You guys are lucky. Over the winter (due to cabin fever) I always come up with a list of stuff to do before I even go to the boat ramp. I figure I have about 3 week worth of projects. I am just waiting to remove the “snow tarp” so I can get started. <br />As for freezing, the only way to be safe is to drain everything. If it drops below freezing over night every now and then I think you would be alright but the way the weather has been in the mid-Atlantic this winter I wouldn't put my trust in a light bulb. A couple days like last week (high of 14*) and you will be looking for a motor. Mother nature is a tempting b!*ch. Today it is 55* out just begging for people to jump the gun and then BANG she has you!

borourke

Seaman

Thanks for the feedback. I chose the halogen light because it was fully enclosed and I can position it so it is next to nothing but the engine block itself. Never heard of the hot spot issue, but definately something to think about. I know a few people who use the ceramic heaters, but that did not seem that safe to me. I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 engine, so I believe that is a GM block. That headbolt heater sounds like a good idea, so Jack L if you ever find anything let me know and I will do the same... What was the issue with the dipstick heaters? That also sounded like a good alternative to the halogen if I can't find the headbolt heater.<br /><br />Cuzner - Did you go through a lot of water pump impellers dry cranking the engine?

cuzner

Hey Brian, I did,nt acyualy start the engine. I pulled the cut off lanyard off and only cranked the engine, in the 12 years I had that boat i only relaced the impeller once.<br /><br /> Jim

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Where I am, the temperature does not get as low as in the north. But sometime it gets below freezing point like for a day or two, so I put an enclosed 40w light in the engine compartment and kept it on and the temperature is usually a bit above freezing point and that help the engine.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One possible alternative for an oil filled electric heater is the type that looks like an old steam radiator. You can set it for lower wattages and it never gets very hot.<br /><br />The only problem is the thermostat switch. You would need some way to make sure you had no spark to ignite possible gas fumes.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I wonder if a electric blanket would work better then a light bulb???

llfish

A head bolt heater is different for each engine. Ever see an eighteen wheeler going down the highway with an electrical cord hanging out the grill. That cord is part of the head bolt heater.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

If you use a heater that heats the block just remember the power steering cooler also has water in it. The block heater may not keep it from freezing.

borourke

Seaman

Hey Mellow Yellow, has the electric blanket actually worked for you? I lived in the Rochester area for 8 years (Fairport) and I know how cold it can get up there.

borourke

Seaman

Thanks for the lead Grumpy Old Fish. I am going to look into this.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

yes, works great for those surprise freezes.<br />about $20 at wallyworld and much safer than<br />a light fixture.<br /><br />wouldn't use all winter, but 1 or 2 days a yr<br />it's perfect.<br /><br />fairport is nice town :) <br />u get a chance to do much boating while u was up here?<br /><br />edit: disclaimer<br />fringe seasonal freezes we see in nov/may are only<br />a few degrees below freezing... 20's at worst.<br />wouldn't be so trusting if it was single digits<br />though, so don't take undue chances especially on<br />MY advice.