" um...don't I know you from somewhere?"

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Cheney debate 'zinger' doesn't match reality<br />Vice-president, senator met, sat side by side at prayer breakfast<br /> <br />Sheldon Alberts <br />CanWest News Service <br /><br /><br />October 7, 2004<br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /> <br />WASHINGTON -- Senator John Edwards? Never met the man before tonight.<br /><br />So said Vice-President **** Cheney during his debate against the Democratic running mate on Tuesday night in Cleveland.<br /><br />Except he was wrong. Cheney was wearing egg on his face Wednesday after photographs and videotape emerged proving he had indeed met Edwards on several occasions in recent years.<br /><br />The revelation undercut one of the most effective lines Cheney had used during the debate to portray Edwards as a slacker in the U.S. Senate. And it gave Democrat spin doctors ammunition for claims that the vice-president is not above stretching the truth for political purposes.<br /><br />Cheney ignited the controversy during a withering attack on Edwards's lack of political accomplishments during a six-year career in the U.S.<br /><br />"Senator, frankly, you have a record in the Senate that's not very distinguished. You've missed 33 out of 36 meetings of the judiciary committee, almost 70 per cent of the meetings of the intelligence committee. . . . Your own hometown newspaper has taken to calling you 'Senator Gone,' " said Cheney, setting Edwards up for the rhetorical kill.<br /><br />"Now in my capacity as vice-president, I am the president of the Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session. The first time I ever met you was when you walked on this stage tonight."<br /><br />The instant analysis among media pundits ranked the Cheney crack as his best shot of the night. "There was a zinger likely to stay zung," wrote Tom Shales in the Washington Post's Wednesday editions. "Edwards had no effective comeback." The New York Times called the remark "one of the evening's surprising revelations."<br /><br />But within hours, other U.S. media outlets had produced video belying Cheney's claim.<br /><br />In fact, Cheney met, and thanked, Edwards, during a Senate prayer breakfast on Feb. 1, 2001. The two men actually sat side by side at the event.<br /><br />In Jan. 8, 2003, Edwards and Cheney also met at a swearing-in ceremony for Republican Senator Elizabeth Dole.<br /><br />And NBC's Tim Russert said Wednesday the two vice-presidential nominees shook hands in a television studio during a taping of his show Meet the Press in 2001.<br /><br />Edwards initially let Cheney's remark pass without comment, then later said the task of setting Cheney straight was left to his wife, Elizabeth, who approached the vice-president after the broadcast ended and "reminded him about the truth."

KaGee

Admiral
Re: " um...don't I know you from somewhere?"

Obviously, Edwards did not make a memorable impression on the VP. <br /><br />But, SO WHAT? It does not change the facts of Edwards absence... (shall we call it AWOL??) from his Senate responsibilities.

KaGee

Admiral

This was written about Mr. edwards.... long before the debates. His attendance was one of the worst in the Senate. <br />EDWARDS "Rarely Present"

dick

Chief Petty Officer

He's the second most powerfull man in the US.It's his job to remember or at least have someone do it for him.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I agree, Richard.<br /><br />On the other hand, what he needs to remember is stuff that matters. He has demonstrated that he can do that pretty well.

oddjob

Commander

Sounds to me like D i c k left a nasty mark on "Eddy the Sis". :D <br /><br />You dems ought to be fit to be tied. ;)

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"He's the second most powerfull man in the US.It's his job to remember or at least have someone do it for him."<br /><br />It's his job to remember that which is important. Remembering when and where he saw Edwards isn't particularly important. Edwards may become somewhat important, but I doubt he'll ever be particularly memorable.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Evidently the memory of years worth of empty chairs in the senate chamber and committee meetings, day after day, is much more memorable than two or three coincidental meetings over the last few years.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The only thing Cheney presided over in the senate in the past few years,were republican lunch meetings.His tie breaking vote in the senate was not needed so he was not present.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Cheney: "I said I never met the guy, right before I said I did." O yeah.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Anyone here going to defend Edwards attendance record which is of course what Cheney was alluding to?<br /><br />I am willing to bet that Edwards and Kerry didn't mention during their last senatorial campaign, that they would be running around the country in search of personal glory for two years, while failing to represent their constituency? <br /><br />Bob Dole had the stones to give up his seat when he ran. Terrible Republican.

oddjob

Commander

Cheney's LHAO at eddy, his wife and the media making a big to do....all the while there highlighting eddys poor senate record...<br /><br /><br />Very Clever D I C K !...you da man!<br /><br /> he, Heeeee!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

C'mon guys, of course the VP don't remember everbody he's ever met. But don't you know, whoever on his staff who "thought" he/she had discovered something big, and those that must have researched it, must look pretty silly now, standing in the unemployment line!<br /><br />In a setting like that, if you're going to make a statement like that, you dang sure better be sure it's true. And if you don't, you have to suffer the consequences which, IMHO, should consist entirely of one full day of being an object of riducule on all manner of internet forums (fora?).

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> Anyone here going to defend Edwards attendance record which is of course what Cheney was alluding to?
They can't. <br />lol.<br />All they can do is regurgitate the same BS about WMD and that poor old misunderstood Sandman.<br /><br />Breakfasts are not going to work to do the job he was sent to the senate floor to do. Niether one even had the common courtesy to SHOW UP for work. So what we get here is an attack on the messenger (as allways). They can't do anything with the charge. Cheney handed Edwards a supreme insult, that probably went right over Edwards' head. And Edwards' is no dummy. I read the transcript, and it spelled-out "Senator Gone's" attendance problem as well as a dig on the senator's reputaion and notoriety are on the senate floor.... not very memerable...Probably had to chase ambulances, huh?<br /><br />Cheney happened to be there EVERY time, so he knows who was there and who was not.

Ralph 123

Captain

Edwards is such a light weight Cheney didn't even remember meeting Senator Gone. That's how much of an impression he makes on people :) <br /><br />Waaaa! We did meet Waaaa! Waaaa! Waaa! Like a little errand boy who's heartbroken the President of the company doesn't remember him at some obscure encounter....Waaaaa! Al Qaeda is trembling at the thought of Kerry and Edwards leading the war on terror - Waaaa! Osama struck us! Waaaa! France, Germany, please get him for us! Waaa!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Maybe Cheney thought the guy with the hair was Farrah Fawcett, or maybe Daschle's collie.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Ralph 123

Captain

capt.nr10110072046.edwards_nj_nr101.jpg
<br /><br />NO CAPTION NEEDED!

phatmanmike

Captain

couldnt he just have been being a complete smart A$S about edwards lack of attendance.<br /><br />i got it, nobody else did?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

This is just like what happened in a previous VP debate when Senator Bentsen said to Dan Quayle, "I knew Jack Kennedy, and you are no Jack Kennedy." Except that Quayle didn't actually turn out to be Jack Kennedy.