uh oh...

qmrichardson

Seaman
Went out to the garage this evening to try out my handy new grease gun on my trailer and when I finished pumping in the grease and tried to pull the gun off the nipple, this is what happened. Is this fixable by someone who has never seen this before? that someone being me...

wheel.jpg

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: uh oh...

You'll need to replace your bearing buddies.

No big deal.

Bang it off the hub, bang the new one on.

Probably a good time for bearing service first. Clean and repack / replace as needed.

Actually, I just got away from BB's last year and repacked my bearings then just installed the dust cap. No issues. I think that BB's can cause more trouble than they're worth depending on how they are used.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What clean rims you have !!
Time for a bearing service.

qmrichardson

Seaman

How do I replace the bearing buddies? Can I pull the trailer with it like this very far without if falling apart further?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

try putting it back in... it's just a piston, spring, and snap ring.... the snap ring locks into a groove to hold the piston and spring in place... if it works it will be temp fix..... towing as is will not cause it to come apart but will get grease all over EVERYTHING and will let dirt get in the bearing.... to change the bearing buddy just tap the old one on alternating sides to work it out and hammer a new one in... REAL easy....

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

And make sure your grease is a "marine" water compatible grease.

qmrichardson

Seaman

Where do people typically purchase bearing buddy's? Thanks for all the replies.

nlain

Commander

Auto parts stores, farm supply stores, trailer stores

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Take your old one with you, they come in two different diameters!

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

"Where do people typically purchase bearing buddy's? "Thanks for all the replies.

IBoats.com !!

qmrichardson

Seaman

ok, went to the farm store and got me a pair of replacements. Just as mentioned above, it is very easy to take the old ones off and pop the new ones right on. Thanks to everyone for the great advice because I would have never known what the hell to do!!

j_martin

Admiral

When you maintain your hubs with bearing buddies, they are so full of good grease that yer in pretty good shape even if the bearing buddy gets knocked off or stolen.

Happened to me at Voyagers National Park once. Drove it 300 miles home. Cleaned up the mess, repacked the bearings, and hammered on a new one. Bearings were fine. Now I have a spare from the pair I had to buy.

When I put the new one on, I cleaned up the hub and put it on with loctite sleeve retainer. It'll take a bit of smoke to get it off.

just sayin'
John